Central Boiler EClassic 1450 and existing oil burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theUPSguy

Sep 20, 2014
Great Meadows NJ
Hi all new here and at my wits end...hoping someone can give me a little guidance because im out of ideas.
i have a supply and return from the wood boiler coming in to an existing oil burner. i was told to have the supply from the wb teed into the bottom drain of my existing ob and the return out the top .. i did that and my domestic hw is fantastic ! now i go to turn on the heat ( 2 zones up and downstairs) there are no zone valves just 2 seperate thermostats and 2 cic pumps. main level ( ill call downsatirs ) bleeds and heats fine no problems there.. heres where im losing my mind i cant get there second floor to bleed or keep the pressure once i bleed it. in other words if i shut off the supply and return to the wb and bump up the pressure on the ob ( around 15 ) it pumps up and bleeds fine and gets heat upstairs ( second floor). as soon as i open the valves to the wb i loose pressure ( goes back down to 10 ish) and i cant get the water to stay up there ! i really need a clue on how the do this ..im lost ..HELP !!
Thanks for any insight ill get some pics up tonight or tomorrow of the setup

What is your elevation difference between the OWB & the second floor zones?

It sounds like you changed your system from closed to open? OWB is open and connected directly to the oil boiler? If so you likely need to put a heat exchanger between the OWB loop and the indoor stuff, and keep the indoor stuff a closed system. Not to mention the risk of increased corrosion to your indoor stuff from changing it to open - not likely good practice to change it to open even if it did heat OK.

Elevation is about 8 to 10 feet above the own. I was told by the dealer I wouldn't need an exchanger because my existing ob would act as one. the water in the own is treated with a corrosion inhibitor and again was told it was fine for my indoor stuff ... I'm quickly beginning to loose faith in the dealer ... almost everything they have told me so far has been wrong or only half of the story.
I'm 15k into this already and I REALLY do t want to spend any more on if it can be helped lol

Sorry. There's a reason why most on this board are down on OWBs and their sellers.

Get a plumber knowledgeable in OWBs. I think you're in for a heat exchanger.

JP

Not quite sure how you did what you did. The central boiler is a unpressurized boiler, and it sounds like you tied it directly into a pressurized system with out the use of a heat ex changer. Sounds like you should have a puddle outside, and you need to stop taking advice from whoever you've been taking it from.

Typical install would involve the use of a brazed plate heat exchanger to exchange the heat between the pressurized and unpressurized system.

Most of the OWB manufacturers do little to nothing in the way of screening their dealers or offering hydronic training. If you have a pulse and cash you to can become a dealer!!! :)
Just one of the many dis services that they bring to the alternative fuel industry.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Doesn't sound like the end of the world. BTW, don't look for a plumber, look for a heating/boiler company. Basically someone well versed in hydronics. A basic plumber knows how to make sh!t run down hill.

Elevation is about 8 to 10 feet above the own. I was told by the dealer I wouldn't need an exchanger because my existing ob would act as one. the water in the own is treated with a corrosion inhibitor and again was told it was fine for my indoor stuff ... I'm quickly beginning to loose faith in the dealer ... almost everything they have told me so far has been wrong or only half of the story.
I'm 15k into this already and I REALLY do t want to spend any more on if it can be helped lol

Then he should make it right.

If he can.

i think im done with these guys .. here are a few pics of the oil burner inside. Boiler_overview.JPG boiler_flocontrol.JPG Boiler_overview.JPG Boiler_returncheckvalve.JPG Boiler_supply.JPG Boiler_temppressure.JPG Boiler-zonevalesclose.JPG Boiler-zonevalves.JPG

supply from owb comes in on the boiler drain (yes i know its alittle sloppy ill clean it up after i get this fixed ! lol ) and return out the top. as i was told to do... first floor is the B&G circ and the second floor is the left taco thats the one i cant get pressure up to ... temp guage says all is good / pressure guage says around 8 psi .. if this cant work like this ill do the heat exchanger setup as i plan on using this all year and to heat my pool as well ( a seperate run from this so it will have very little to do here). So any suggestions on a heat exchanger are welcome // you guys educated me more in 24 hours than 2 plumbers and the dealer did in months !
and Thank You !

http://www.outdoorfurnacesupply.com/brazed-plate-heat-exchangers/bp5x12-60-1.html
Hows this one ?

Last edited:
Are you sure that pressure gauge works right?

Not quite understanding how there would be 8 psi there with an open system.

That's quite the piping job.

as far as i know it does.. i have no reason to suspect otherwise.. maybe because this unit is below the owb in the basement and the owb is ground level at first floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.