central boiler---how do you handle your ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamant

Sep 30, 2007
how do you guys handle the ash in the boiler? i was thinking of one of those galvanize trash cans with a lid.

I have a couple of large galvanized garbage cans with lids. I used this with my CB and now with my Greenwood.

The real trick is having two so one you can use to capture hot coals and charcoal for re-use and the second for dead ash. With this system I never have to relight the fire as I can always lay back a bed hot coals for re ignition.

Pete

I use 2- 1.5 gallon galvanized buckets. The day-old ash goes in a plastic bag for temporary storage.
then I distribute the ash from the bag around before it gets too heavy. I live on a 1 acre wooded lot and I can't put too much ash in 1 place.
I will find a new place in the woods and dump the bag and spread it around with a rake. My garbage service won't take it.
Sometimes I bring the bag and rake while visiting friends and dump by them. Last year I burned 5 quards of wood which produced about 200 lbs of ash.

I have two 20 gallon galvie trash cans that I fill in rotation. When one gets full I start filling the other, as the second gets full, I will use the ashes in the first for traction on the driveway and scatter any extra over the yard and garden patch as fertilizer. I have a big stainless colander that I use as a spreader - messy but it works... Last year with the smoke dragon I'd also recover about 5 gallons of charcoal for the BBQ out of each 20 gallons of ash. This year it looks like there is no significant charcoal in the ash from the VC (and I get less ash volume as well). However the important thing is that this means that any ash I scatter has been dead for at least a few weeks, so no risk of fires, etc.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.