Central Boiler issue please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deerhuntrer

Jan 2, 2008
Mountains of Maine
I have owned a Central Boiler for 2 years and have experience one, and only one issue, my damper freezes open from drifting snow. I have asked my dealer about the issue and he said that it is the first of its kind he has ever heard of. I have tried unsuccessfully to create a breathable cover for the grill so the snow cannot be blown up into the damper and freeze. Is their a breathable elastic cover that Central Boiler sells that remedies the issue?

if DRIFTING snow is your problem, why not use some cinderblock to make a wall in front of the door? Far enough away so that you can get in there with your wood. or a cinderblock base with a wood frame sitting on it. Hell, you could even roof it with some of that cheap plastic roofing material... First time I've heard of a problem like this too, but if it's just drifting that's causing your trouble, it should be pretty easy (and cheap) to remedy it that way...

I have thought about putting up a snow wall, however it has to look decent was the word from the wife. The other issue with that is I usually haul the wood out and land it right behind the stove. If a fence or wall is there, it may get damaged when twiching wood out with a skidder. We have recieved over 65 inches of snow this year.

A quick fix would be to lay a pice of 4x4 plywood in front of the door. Leaned up it allow air in but no snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.