Central Boiler Light Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinky Jim

Feb 13, 2016
Wisconsin
New guy here. I've had a Central Boiler unit for 2 years now and it works fine other than the lights on the outside don't put off much for light to see after dark. Has anyone modified the fixture to put off more light? The bulb in the fixture has a standard base but it's a stubby bulb so simply putting in a bigger bulb won't work.

Just looking for ideas.

Can you put an outlet socket adapter in the socket and plug in an LED strip light with an outdoor use UL listing , mounted with L brackets ?
Things to be aware of, Voiding warranty, accidentally drilling into the water jacket while mounting the L brackets, creating a hazardous electrical condition.

Purchase a work light of some sort (LED?) that will plug into the existing outlet on the unit and have it's own on/off switch. That is if you have the spare outlet available.

No, you replace the bulb socket with a screw in outlet adapter.
As he states, it's a standard socket but the cavity(space) in which the bulb resides is too short to fit a standard bulb, and I'm assuming the short bulb that comes with it stock only throws off so many lumens. Not to mention it looks like its flush mounted into the face on the boiler, so It's probably glaring you right in the face, rather than casting light downward to the ground and area in front of the door where all the fun happens as you load your boiler when its 4 degrees, dark and blowing cold.

I understand what you meant and I'm well aware of what he's saying. I own one. I'm suggesting adding an additional light rather than modifying the existing fixture, which would undoubtedly expose normally sealed components to the elements.

There is a 120v outlet inside the side panel where the circulator plugs into. When I split at night next to my 6048, I set a halogen work light on top to illuminate the area better and plug it into that outlet. All other times during the winter I have my diesel pickup block heater plugged into that outlet.

As a side note, the flush mount light on the front of the unit above the door is high enough that it does not glare you right in the face. Have you ever seen a Cental Boiler unit in person?

What I'm suggesting requires no modifications of any kind to any part of the unit.

I understand, a socket adapter just screws into the bulb socket. It's not a permanent modification and it would allow the new add on light fixture to operate from the switch and save your other plugs for whatever you want.
I'm not putting down the stove design, I understand the manufacturing cost benefits, needs for simplicity, protection etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.