Central heat with insert going.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabover

Dec 4, 2007
Northern Calif
I am interested in buying a wood burning insert to burn occasionally. I want to burn it during weekends and when ever convienient. I also want one that is small enough that I won't run everyone out of the room, so, I also need to run my central heat while burning my insert.
My question is if I put in a liner all of the way up the chimney will I have any smoke entering my house when the heater kicks on. Or how about the smell of the fireplace? I have to be sure or I won't hear the end of from my wife.

What you are talking about is back puffing. Which is smoke coming out of the stove when you open the door. I'm pretty new to heating with wood, only a few months so far. I have a full liner and I get a little bit of back puffing on occasion. Not much. The problem with my setup is I have the minimum chimney height reccommended by the manufacturer (15 feet) and my liner is not insulated. If you have a tall chimney and you insulate it you shouldn' have a problem. If you are worried about a gas furnace hurting the draft when it turns on, then install and outside air kit on the insert. Also, don't be afraid to buy a good sized insert. You will be using it alot more than you think. I was going to buy one for evenings and weekends. So far, I haven't lit the pilot light on my furnace.

Cabover said:
I am interested in buying a wood burning insert to burn occasionally. I want to burn it during weekends and when ever convienient. I also want one that is small enough that I won't run everyone out of the room, so, I also need to run my central heat while burning my insert.
My question is if I put in a liner all of the way up the chimney will I have any smoke entering my house when the heater kicks on. Or how about the smell of the fireplace? I have to be sure or I won't hear the end of from my wife.

If the house does not have a serious negative pressure problem, then the furnace cycling while the stove is running should not cause the stove to smoke. Our heat pump cycles from time to time with the stove running and it is no problem. Installing a properly sized liner should help draft and further reduce chances of smoke. If the insert has an outside air kit, this should be a non-issue.

You have to make sure your furnace has a cold air inlet. If it doesn't, you can get one installed. I have a small insert (PE Vista) and an oil burning furnace. No problems with back puffing unless I haven't used the insert for a few days and then the cold air from the liner wants to flow downwards for a couple of minutes until things warm up.

Cabover said:

Hmmmph..... sounds like you should get one of those electric log inserts .... or a new wife! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.