Central heat with wood help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie 08

Jan 3, 2008
Central Indiana
Hello, I currently have a hot water boiler with baseboard heat that runs on propane. We have been researching replacing our wood burning insert to heat the house and not rely on the boiler. However, today my wife was having a conversation with someone from a heating company at her work and the topic of us having a boiler heat and looking for an insert came up. I guess he mentioned to her hooking up an woodburning unit to our existing unit and she thinks he meant having it set outside. I really have no idea about this or where to start. So could anyone provide some useful info to help me get started? Thanks.

I am way early in the learning curve on boilers so I'm certainly not one to be handing out advice on this subject. It does sound however that you would be a good candidate for a wood boiler if you already use have a boiler type setup and are used to burning wood for your insert. As I am learning however high quality efficient wood boilers do not come cheap. Pay now or pay latter I guess some would say, often you get what you pay for so sometimes the larger up front investment has the biggest return.

Status
Not open for further replies.