Central Hydraulics 22 Ton Log Splitter oil filter #

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundgunner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2013
Rural CT
Central Hydraulics 22 Ton Log Splitter oil filter #

I was having a hard time finding a oil filter, the people at Harbor freight looked at me like I was speaking Chinese when I tried to get one there. I could not cross reference the number for anything. I went to Advanced Auto and found one that looked just like it but when I got home the thread pitch was different.

Someone in one of the threads gave a part number for one to fit a 24 ton but not the same.

I was getting frustrated but got one today from NAPA . I'm not sure how many micron's it filters at but fit right on so…

NAPA GOLD 1088 $9.00

The NAPA Wix or Baldwin equivalents show 3/4-16 post threads, 30 psi bypass, and an anti drain back valve. This would typically be the full size Ford/Chrysler/GM automotive lube oil filter, and more suited to 5 to 10 gpm before it goes into partial bypass.

Typically the most common SAE spin on hydraulic filters are either 1-(12?) threads, or similar metric, I think 26 mm. There is usually no bypass in the element, it is in the head of the filter housing. Usually no anti drain, as it is not like an engine application.
Hydr filters are usually about 20 gpm rated at 25 to 50 psi pressure drops, ie. a lot more flow than engine oil filters can handle.

If you were 'designing from scratch' I'd say it is a poor choice. Wrong filter design and too small. Engine oil filters are usually also a coarser micron rating than hydr filters.

However, given that it fits the head you have, it's probably the only choice you have. Poor design by HarborFreight China supplier, but nothing you can do given the hardware.

Or, maybe you can? If it spins onto NPT pipe threads mounting to the tank, I would take it off, throw in the ditch, and put on a regular hydr filter. (Wtf? How did my italics turn on?). Most farm stores, or Northern Tool, or Surplus Center will have heads in 3/4 or 1 inch NPT, SAE 1 inch post, and take NAPA or common filter elements. I don't have the napa numbers here on phone.

So bottom line, the design is poor, but the element you picked will be the best you can do without changes. Won't be really 'hydraulic filtration levels' but should be ok for a logsplitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.