Central Maine(Bangor) Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainegeek

Dec 6, 2008
Central Maine
So, I stopped by Dysart's in Hermon to get two bags of Energex and noticed that the Energex are now $249 a ton (still expensive)... but much better then the $280 a ton we've paid the last two years. I asked the service guy if this was a special or a the new price. He said he wasn't sure but thought it was the new price. I told him for the price I was willing to buy next winters supply NOW. He laughed and asked if I was interested in "trying" the Energex. I replied and told him how I've been burning Energex for two years. His response was that Energex was the best pellet Dysart's carries (which I agree).

I also spoke with a man the other day that was selling Maine Choice pellets. He was parked in a shopping mall in Brewer with a "$220 with free delivery" sign in the bed of his truck. Free delivery, I could care less for since I've got the equipment to haul a ton of pellets. He told me that the plant in Strong, ME had a fire last year so they couldn't sell/supply so they were being aggresive this year. He said he had tried Athens and Corinth and felt these burned better. When I questioned him about Energex he said he had not burned them but had heard they were a good pellet but told me for the price difference I was better off with the Maine Choice (just like a salesmen--can't blame him). Has anyone tried these?

Anyways, that is my Central(Bangor) Maine update.... hope it helps someone!

mainegeek said:
So, I stopped by Dysart's in Hermon to get two bags of Energex and noticed that the Energex are now $249 a ton (still expensive)... but much better then the $280 a ton we've paid the last two years. I asked the service guy if this was a special or a the new price. He said he wasn't sure but thought it was the new price. I told him for the price I was willing to buy next winters supply NOW. He laughed and asked if I was interested in "trying" the Energex. I replied and told him how I've been burning Energex for two years. His response was that Energex was the best pellet Dysart's carries (which I agree).

I also spoke with a man the other day that was selling Maine Choice pellets. He was parked in a shopping mall in Brewer with a "$220 with free delivery" sign in the bed of his truck. Free delivery, I could care less for since I've got the equipment to haul a ton of pellets. He told me that the plant in Strong, ME had a fire last year so they couldn't sell/supply so they were being aggresive this year. He said he had tried Athens and Corinth and felt these burned better. When I questioned him about Energex he said he had not burned them but had heard they were a good pellet but told me for the price difference I was better off with the Maine Choice (just like a salesmen--can't blame him). Has anyone tried these?

Burned a little over 2 ton of the MC, liked 'em way better than Corinth or Athens

I burnt Maine Choice, 4 ton to be exact , and was pleased with them. Have to say though, the Energex was the best out of 4 brands that i burned. Very little ash with Energex . Wish i could get 4 ton of Energex delivered for $250. By the way, the Energex i'm talking about were from Canada. Lake Megantic to be precise. Loved them , but too much $$ . Muss

mainegeek said:

PM sent

I burnt Maine Choice all winter and they seemed to burn good for me. I am surprised to read your post that somebody was selling the Maine Choice as the last reports I read about a month ago indicated that Geneva Wood Pellets would not be up and running until last summer or early fall 2010. I wish we could find more info.

Yeah $220/ton is real good price. I'd like to burn a bag or two before committing to 4 tons though. I'll probably just go for it though.

muss, I also burn the Energex out of Quebec. I've burned them for two years and I've been very happy with them (besides the price).

hoss, I got your PM. I'll send you all the info. soon. My wife has the flyer he gave me in her purse and she happens to not be home right now.

Anyone else who wants the guys info. just PM me as well

I hope Energex has change. I tried a ton last year and they were awful had to scrape the burn pot twice a day. They were worse than the 5 bags of Bayou's I tried.

Wow, unreal. Energex have been the best pellets I've burned so far. I like them so much I've burned them for the past two winters. Are you getting the Energex pellets out of Canada?

I think this coming it winter it will be 4 tons of Maine Choice though....

I called today and ordered 3 ton for June delivery, he said free delivery anywhere in the state. Got almost a ton left, now, I'd like to pick up 4-5 bags of a few different brands over the summer to try out. Thanks for the info, geek

There was some bad Energex being sold at Dysarts last fall. 3 friends of mine all ordered 2-4 tons of them and all were dirty, and dusty. I didn't
believe them, so one of them ran in a couple of bags for me. No doubt they were really dusty with lots of fines. I'm not sure which plant they came
from. I know it's hard to believe. Energex generally has a great reputation.

Rocky's Stove Shop on Rt.3 in Augusta. $300/ton. I understand from a reliable source that Evergreen Home Solutions on Wilson St in Brewer has them now. I know they have Okies.
I'm getting Barefoots from O'Hara Ice out of Rockland for 275. They have a warehouse in Bangor. The guy who loaded a ton on my trailer today said they plan on being at the home show in Bangor weekend after this one. They will be taking pre-orders for August delivery. He indicated price may be in the 250. range. I have his number if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.