Central Maine Pellet Pigs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utilitrack

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2008
Central ME
Knight's Farm Supply in Augusta has listed their pre-buy special- Maine Choice $219, Corinth and Energex $240, Spruce Points $260 until June 30th, must take delivery by September 1st, $25 delivery charge for first ton, $10 for each other ton. I picked up two tons of Spruce Points and one ton odf Corinths.

Pre buy is paying in full in advance. I bought from him for two years with no problem. Won't be buying the Energex again as for me, they are just to dirty for my stove. Any one know if any of the other listed brands burn any hotter than Maine Wood Pellets? I can get them for $209 delivered. Nice part about MWP is no ash in the burn pot.

Save$-I believe that they are selling MWP for about $209 as well, I have no interest in them until they consistently prove that they are a decent pellet. I liked the Corinth, and I am taking a flyer on the Spruce Points as many have rated them highly on here.

I burned 2 1/2 tons of Maine Choice last year and they were OK. This season I saw some Maine Choice at Lowes for a good price so I bought about 50 bags to save my Okies for colder days. To my surprise these Maine Choice were absolutely terrible. Way to much ash this time around.

smalltown said:
I burned 2 1/2 tons of Maine Choice last year and they were OK. This season I saw some Maine Choice at Lowes for a good price so I bought about 50 bags to save my Okies for colder days. To my surprise these Maine Choice were absolutely terrible. Way to much ash this time around.

I have been hearing the same thing about Maine Choice. I did try one bag before the plant burned. they were a fair pellet. But don't think I can be accurate about one bag.
Have bought MWP on three separate occasions this past winter. Each time they were consistently good. I keep hearing about pellets that give more heat. But then their is the stove factor. Not all stoves are equal to all pellets. So, as warned many times, need to try a few of any new brands to see if they are right for me. I heated my home with mostly MWP this past winter with good results. I did burn some energex (one ton, with 3 left over) Got good heat with them, but dirty dirty, dirty. More work than worth. I am spoiled now that I have a good pellet that doesn't build up in my burn pot. Might be all in my head, but I also think some of my good luck with them is knowing they come from a dealer who gets them every week, and keeps them inside.

I've been burning Maine Woods for a while now and like them alot, but I've only ever burned Cubex before that. Cubex pellets were nice but way too expensive, and many of them were too long and caused problems in my auger.

Green team used to be my favorite pellet but the Athens/Maine woods have been burning really good in my P68. I am planning on stocking up on many tons of these soon to add to the two tons I have now.

When I got my Accentra insert I got a few bags of Cubex from Rocky's...he sells them for 260 per ton,great heat.
But I can get MWP at Blakes here in town for 219 per ton,good heat and they seem to burn good and clean...I emptied the ash pan about every 5-6 days!
Made more sense for me to drive 1 mile away and save 40$ per ton as compared to driving a half hour away

Status
Not open for further replies.