Central Propane heat timing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stmar

Sep 12, 2014
Wyo
Along with my pellet stove I have a central (Intercity brand) propane furnace. What determines the length of time it takes to light when the stat calls for heat? The reason I ask is that sometimes it takes longer, say a minute or two, and other times it lights right away, in seconds. Just curious about the difference and I really don't know the logic so would appreciate any input to educate me. Thanks.

Just a guess here - but maybe it takes longer to heat the thermocouple if the furnace has been off a long time, or if it's windy out (cooling the thermocouple)?

That is a good theory. We live in a very windy area so I will pay more attention and see if the wind has a bearing. It is in the attic so cold would probably have an effect on the thermocouple. Thanks.

You're welcome - please let us know what you find.

I have not had to use the furnace much but it seems to be working okay. It is in the 20's today and it lit in a short time. Will have to try it in windy conditions and colder but I think your theory about the temperature/wind effect on the thermocouple may be right on. Will keep you posted as the winter progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.