Century Fireplace Furnace - Anyone know?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamaradelaluna

Mar 24, 2009
Lawrence, KS
Hi --

We are remodeling, and part of our remodel plans include adding a fireplace to the house (there is none now). We want the fireplace to look like a fireplace, but we also want it to be extremely high-efficiency (i.e., beautiful AND practical). Someone who seems to know what he's talking about recommended we go with a Century Fireplace Furnace:

http://centuryfireplaces.com/

I haven't been able to find any information or reviews online outside of their website, so I thought I'd try this forum to see if any of you have an opinion of them.

Thanks in advance!
Tamara (Lawrence, Kansas)

First, I do not have any first hand knowledge of the Century fireplace. That being said, they are being kind of sneaky with their claims on their website. They claim an EPA efficiency of 93% - WOW! Except what they are really talking about is combustion efficiency (which my fireplace exceeds 97%). There are no claims for overall efficiency (most stoves are in the 70's %), but BIG claims for total BTU output (100,000+). What this means is they have a huge firebox and will throw out a tremendous amount of heat, if you throw in a tremendous amount of wood.

Thank you, RocketMan. I felt uncomfortable with the fact that I couldn't find ANYTHING else about them online. I mean, if they're so great, people would know about them, wouldn't they?! Anyway, that was my thinking. I've been doing research on other fireplaces that DO have user reviews online, and I think I've fallen in love with RSF's Delta 2 Bay Window Fireplace. Wow. When I saw its picture, it took my breath away. It seems to have the perfect mix of beauty and efficiency. :) Any thoughts on it? Thanks, Tamara

The thing is an unknown quantity but they should be glad to put you in touch with people that have them installed. With just ten employees, according to Dun & Bradstreet, they aren't cranking out thousands of the fireplaces. The only other thing I found is that they run around $4,000.

Thanks, Bart & FHS -- We did look into masonry heaters, but we haven't the space for one. We will be using an existing slanted wall to set a fireplace into. Thanks, Tamara

Status
Not open for further replies.