Century FW300010 over firing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moshiersr

Jan 23, 2008
Horseheads NY
So I am new guy to the forums and have only been burning a few years, so please forgive me if I miss something obvious..

I just bought a Century (Thanks to the 50% off sale at Lowes) to update to an EPA stove. So far so good, the stove works great and is seeming to take less wood than my old Fireview.

I have a question about over firing, the tiny manual the stove came with says just no "glowing" parts. Well I noticed my baffle was glowing slightly when stove top temperatures were only around 500F. With my old Fireview I was running pipe temperatures over 600 regularly. I don't want to damage my new investment, but I would think the outside of the stove should be getting hotter than 500.. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Steve

Simple rule of thumb.
If the secondary baffle(s) glows, your ok and prolly getting great secondary burn = good.
If the stove shell, outlet pipe is glowing, too hot = bad.
Sounds like your A-ok to me.

Simple rule of thumb.
If the secondary baffle(s) glows, your ok and prolly getting great secondary burn = good.
If the stove shell, outlet pipe is glowing, too hot = bad.
Sounds like your A-ok to me.

Perhaps you meant the secondary air tubes. To get the baffle glowing on that century it's gotta be running damn hot. I ruined my last baffle running that hot. It warped badly and burned a hole right thru the baffle. I try to keep my stovetop below 650 now and will see the secondary tubes glow, but never the baffle. Century does not like to replace baffles under warranty, my claim was denied for overfiring despite the fact that they don't actually define overfiring in their manual.

Interesting..

I actually did see my baffle and tubes glowing, so I guess I need to keep the temps down. It was cherry, just a dull glow. Replacing the baffle isn't a huge deal as I can fabricate on and have lots of high temperature insulation materials on hand - it just seemed odd to me it was glowing and my stove top was only 450-500F..

Thanks!!

Does seem like the top temps would have been hotter...but, it actually might show that you are getting great efficiency...keeping the heat in the stove!

I don't think anyone can be expected to monitor the inside of their stove on a constant basis to see if it is glowing. As you suggest, in the worst case you got an amazing deal and may have to replace some parts on a few years.....can't beat that.

If you think your chimney may be too strong, take Gullands advice and see if you can make sure the primary and secondary air can be choked down a little further.

moshiersr said:
So I am new guy to the forums and have only been burning a few years, so please forgive me if I miss something obvious..

I just bought a Century (Thanks to the 50% off sale at Lowes) to update to an EPA stove. So far so good, the stove works great and is seeming to take less wood than my old Fireview.

I have a question about over firing, the tiny manual the stove came with says just no "glowing" parts. Well I noticed my baffle was glowing slightly when stove top temperatures were only around 500F. With my old Fireview I was running pipe temperatures over 600 regularly. I don't want to damage my new investment, but I would think the outside of the stove should be getting hotter than 500.. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Steve
hi...i just got one 2 days ago not hooked up yet....what are you talking about the baffel getting hot....what part is the baffel?tks....

My buddy has the dutchwest version of that stove, no difference other than the door casting ( says dutchwest in it)

when we broke his stove in, and cooked off the paint, the hottest temp on the top surface was 700-800 a few times, very easily.

and there was no glowing, no warping, nothing wrong, just MASSIVE amounts of heat output.

this was with NO fan attached to the stove.

I have that stove and I'm not sure you can overfire it without piling scraps onto 500 degree coals. The primary and secondary air inlets seem well thought out.

I can get the stove warm, but not what I consider hot. I think its because my wood stash is not exactly the best. I didn't have it stacked all summer, just piled, and I don't think it seasoned very well.

I can get a good appearing burn, but stove top temps never really get above 450.

It looks good, but not a ton ton of heat. Next year it will be better with better seasoned wood and a woodshed.

Attachments

• newcenturyhearth.JPG
    newcenturyhearth.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 910
Status
Not open for further replies.