Century Hearth wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LandMime

Sep 7, 2010
Central Indiana
Hello,

I have been using a Century Hearth wood burning stove model 244e for a few years and I am now tring to gave it a good cleaning.

During my cleaning efforts while feeling around inside the stove with my hands, I felt a mysterious rectangular shape up above the air intake steel plate (steel plate with the air holes). I was reaching up through the brick baffle holes in back and reaching forward toward the front of the stove and felt a rectangular metal box maybe one inch tall with a loose sheet metal cover. I was able to lift an edge of the cover and felt a rough spongy sort of "filter thing" inside. What is this?

I can not find any photos of the interior design of the 244e except for one that mentions a "baffle assembly", but shows no details. I'm wondering how best to clean the interior of this stove. It seems like I'm not getting the draw I used to when it was new. I've put a sweeper hose into this area as best I can, working up through the baffle brick holes. Is there more I can do and what is this "filter thing" inside this mysterious metal box, anyone know?

Thanks

The Century stoves had insulation packed in the steel baffles to hold heat in the firebox for clean burns.

BrotherBart said:
The Century stoves had insulation packed in the steel baffles to hold heat in the firebox for clean burns.

Brother Bart,

Thanks for the reply.

Doesn't seem like a realtively small area of insulation would make much of a difference.

Do you know of any Century Hearth schematics that would show this design?

Any suggestions on how to best clean the stove? Sounds like I should just leave the insulation alone... no need to pull it out to clean or anything, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.