Century Hearth wood stove - soot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vandc

Jan 14, 2010
NV
We bought a Century Hearth wood stove two years ago & are having problems with lots of soot on the roof & with a little bit of wind, on the back patio. Just tried to call CFM Corporation, got the wrong CFM Corporation, poor lady who answers the phone - and found out the one who made the stove has gone bankrupt. Went thru the manual, right size flue, right height from the roof. Have tried everything I read, soda cans, dried potato peels & nothing helps. Had the wood stove 2 yrs. (to the day), last stove for about 15 yrs. & no problems. Dry wood, pinion pine - small town, we clean it regularly ourselves. Last year wasn't bad, but more moisture this year & it mixes real well with the soot! Any suggestions, besides a new stove? Can the pipe be to high? Help!

When was the last time you pulled the combustion blower on that stove and who made those pinion pine pellets?

Just kidding, maybe one of the Mods would be kind enough to move this thread for you.

Soot seems to be a big issue, same with us pellet burners. Normally I'd say clean the stove and flue really, really good and make certain your air intake isn't blocked or the damper set incorrectly.

Suppose any of that advice applies to a wood burning device?

Oh and welcome to the forums, lots of information here along with same really strange critters.

Oops! newcomer - good start! Oh - I see,, I got on the "Pellet Mill & Corn Crib thread. How do I move the question? I would ask "where do I put it", but afraid you might tell me! Have a feeling the same basics apply to wood stoves & pellet stove, we are just at a loss as to what else we can do. My husband goes to the mountains & cuts the pinon pine, afraid he might rebel if I asked him to make it into pellets. Thanks for replying!

Hey I may be a strange critter but I'd never tell someone where to put it (except for ... and .... and ... ).

This topic would normally be in the Hearth Room as that is where the elite folks hang, talking about big tree eating stoves and such.

Send a PM to BeGreen, provide the link to this thread, and ask him if he would please move it for you.

Thanks, found the right forum - I think - been reading posts, maybe some answers. I do appreciate your help & if what I think doesn't work out, will try again - maybe in the right place. Thank you SmokeyTheBear! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.