Century wood burning heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superduke

Jan 3, 2006
A few years ago, I purchased the small Regency free standing wood heater(. I think that the model is F1100.) and installed it in my basement (approx 1100 sqft area ). Upon using it I found that it worked great but the fire box is just plain too small to depend on longer burn times and convenience of running down stairs every hour . At this point I realized I made a mistake about too small of a heater.
I have been shopping around for heaters and looked at many brands such as Quadra fire (very well built) pacific energy as well as larger Regency models but a heater that is capable of heating a 2000sqft area is very expensive. At this point I have cheapened out and ended up buying a large Century steel plate stove. I removed the little Regency and Installed the new Century ( big name stoves are definitely made with heavier plate). I have just started to use this stove and from what I have seen I like it so far. It appears to work good, has a heavy internal s/s baffle with 4 secondary burn tubes, fire brick lined, ash removal drawer under the pedestal. Spec say this stove is capable of heating up to 2000sqft. Hopefully it will work.

Anyone else have used/use this brand of heater?

I have the smaller 244 model. It is the best $300 I have
spent on any woodburing unit. Clean, hot burning unit.
Doesn't burn too long or look too pretty, but what do you
expect for $300??!! Overall, I am please with it, considering
I have a cast-iron unit in our basement that cost us 5x more...

Rob

Superduke,

What model did you buy? How long will it burn fully loaded and are you only heating your basement? Where and how much did you pay?

Sorry for not getting back, been busy between hockey and other famuly comitmants.

The Century stove that I bought is a model FW300007 capable to heat approx 2000 sqft. I bought it at Canadian Tire.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortme...<>ast_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1136839985742. The retail was 899.99 but it is now on sale for 719.99 plus the taxes.

The stove is in the basement. Works good. Clean burning. My biggest problem that I have is the basement is drafty. I need to insulate along the tread plate and concrete walls which is in the furture plans. I am also trying to figure out how to get the warm convection air upstairs to the main level. I removed some access panels on my furnace's cold asir return. When the fan blower is on it draws the warm air into the distribution plenum but because the air is moving with great force, I found it cools it down too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.