Ceramic Blanket for Jotul 118B

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverrude

Apr 17, 2008
NJ
Is the ceramic blanket that goes under the bottom burn plate necessary?

I think it's mineral wool? but am not sure. It does have a purpose I would guess for keeping the coal bed hotter and perhaps less radiating towards the floor?

This is the 118B, the blanket goes between the bottom burn plate and the bottom.

Attachments

• blanket.JPG
    blanket.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 2,166
It is ceramic fiber blanket. Jotul now uses it between the side burn plates and the cast sides of the stove. Pretty cheap in 25' rolls on eBay. But you don't need 25'.

Look in the phone book for kiln supplies. Those guys have it.

I swear the 118 I have only has the blanket on top of the baffle........there is no bottom burn plate near as i can tell......Odd?

The older units had it under the bottom burn plate. In my old 602 it seemed a lot more like mineral wool, but perhaps the years and metal oxides had colored it so. I would think that most modern ceramics would work just fine though.

Ahhh gotcha. I can confirm that the new ones don't have it! haha.

I'd say any ceramic Refractory blanket insulation will do. If you're looking to replace what's currently there, small pieces of Kaowool are almost always available on Ebay.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm in a very similar situation.

I have an old Jotul Model 8 (draft wheel in door, no cat), and a bunch of leftover ceramic blanket liner insulation (1/2" thick). The 8 has burn plates on the bottom, back, and sides, and I was thinking of exactly what you guys are discussing, insulating between the burn plates and the outer walls, with the idea of keeping things a little hotter in the firebox for better combustion.

Only reason I haven't done it yet is that this would obviously increase the operating temperature of the burn plates by quite a bit. Plus I notice, on the Model 8 anyway, that the draft wheel is actually setup to supply cold air *under* the bottom burn plate, as if they (perhaps) wanted to keep it cool. (Or maybe they just wanted to keep the bottom of the stove cool for clearance purposes.)

Anyway, is there any reason to worry about these cast iron burn plates running too hot? I guess if the factory supplied insulation behind similar plates on later model stoves... and above the baffle for that matter, which must run really hot... there must not be a big issue, either with oxidation or with cracking. I've seen old fire grates, that live right in the fire, look pretty sagged and eroded after a few years. I'd hate to mess up any of these very nicely made cast iron parts... plus, replacements look to be pretty pricey.

regards,
Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.