Ceramic coated non-stick frying pans. Anyone using them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
I saw some ceramic coated frying pans at a store last night. Anyone here using them? I am not crazy about the colors but they seem interesting. The ones I saw are made by Bialetti.

Nope, if you get one let us know how it works for you. BTW, we did get suckered into buying one of the Scanpans sold on that site. We call it the scampan. It did not stand up well at all. We got a free replacement and that also was pretty worthless after a few months. That was the end of our non-stick pan days.

I think I will wait. I read mixed reviews of its' durability online. They were not convincing enough of their durability. Chipped coating and staining of the cooking surface.

After switching to cast iron, I would be hard pressed to try these- but if they have a good stock pot, it might be worth it. Frying pans take a beating, but sauce/stock pots may make more sense

Reactions: pen
We have good quality Le Creuset and Copco ceramic coated pots, some which are over 30 yrs old and still doing regular service. They're heavy and very even heating. You get what you pay for.

We have a set of the green ones, if you treat like it is ceramic, you won't have any problems. I like them, they are better than the Teflon or "plastic" coated pans.

I'm cheap . . . pretty much only use aluminum with copper bottoms or glass pans and pots.

I'm using Calphalon stuff right now, but slowly moving to CI.
No Aluminum for me especially when making pasghetti. Sure you don't mean SS, Jake?
I don't think I've ever seen copper bottomed Aluminum pots/pans. Maybe it's a Maine thing.;)

Note: got to watch what the base pan material is on some of the new induction stoves, I"ve been told the the pans need to be of magnetic properties, so some of the stainless base metals will not work properly with these stove tops.

YES AND WE LOVE THEM ! ( I am yelling that at my screen for you ) !!!

We also have a couple copper bottom pans that are very nice but do burn a bit.

Pete

I'm using Calphalon stuff right now, but slowly moving to CI.
No Aluminum for me especially when making pasghetti. Sure you don't mean SS, Jake?
I don't think I've ever seen copper bottomed Aluminum pots/pans. Maybe it's a Maine thing.;)

Uh, yup . . . you're right . . . stainless steel.

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
I've read about the ceramic pans you see on TV (the ugly green ones), and from what I've read they are JUNK. We've only got one teflon pan, and I HATE cooking on it because teflon is poisonous when its over the fire and nothing is in the pan (outgassing), almost all of our pots/pans are stainless. Yes the food sticks to them, yes it can be a pain in the azz, but it ain't outgassing on you either.....

I'm going to break out that big crate of Wenzel (spelling?) cast iron pots and pans my in-laws bought me for Christmas around 10 years ago (they are in the loft of the barn::P). The more I read about iron cookware, the more I like it......

Like BG, I have a lot of ceramic coated stuff but it's old. Picked up from auctions and thrift stores.

Reactions: PapaDave
I've read about the ceramic pans you see on TV (the ugly green ones), and from what I've read they are JUNK. We've only got one teflon pan, and I HATE cooking on it because teflon is poisonous when its over the fire and nothing is in the pan (outgassing), almost all of our pots/pans are stainless. Yes the food sticks to them, yes it can be a pain in the azz, but it ain't outgassing on you either.....

I'm going to break out that big crate of Wenzel (spelling?) cast iron pots and pans my in-laws bought me for Christmas around 10 years ago (they are in the loft of the barn::P). The more I read about iron cookware, the more I like it......

Scotty ceramic coated does not have teflon just ceramic coating. They are really great pans ! Iron pans are really nice too though and they smell great taboot.

Pete

Reactions: ScotO
I've switched to le creuset enameled cast iron and my only wonder is why I did not do it from the start.

Also have my Grammy's 1920cast iron skillet... doesn't get much more non stick. ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.