ceramic fire starter, buy for $25.oo or make it yourself for $3.95

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eernest4

Oct 22, 2007
ct
netzero.com
I have been reading here about guys saying how nice it is to start the wood stove with a ceramic fire starter, so i made one tonight and tried it and yes ,it is so much better than newspapers.

If you are not a DIY , you can get one at www.northlineexpress.com for 15.oo & 7.95 shipping.
The same one that woodlanddirect.com wants 40.oo for.www.bedbathstore.com has them too for 23.95

For you DIY ers, buy a round steel 9 inch cake pan, or a rectangular steel cake pan or find one in your kitchen. You can even use the empty tin that the 2 lb or 5 lb ham comes in, as long as it is steel & has no solder joints to melt & come apart.

Now find some splinters from pallets or break up a furring strip with a sledgehammer to get splinters & place the splinters in the cake pan along with a handfull of sawdust from under your table saw or from your chain saw.

Save & wash out the first squeeze ketchip bottle you empty because you will be using it every day to squirt starting fluid in the cake pan onto the splinters & saw dust.

I use #2 fuel oil but lighter fluid,keroscene,desial fuel or any charcoal starter fluid will work as well, even mineral spirit paint thinner or you can buy The $9.oo alchol starter gel ,if you like wasting your money or have a pellet stove too & so have some of it around to use.

The saw dust makes it a solid instead of a liquid so you dont have to worry about flamiable liquid spilling near your stove.

The cake pan must be steel to withstand the temp inside your stove because aluminum or plastic will just melt & make a mess.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Build your fire different for this lighting system.

Place 2x4 or 1/4 split rounds on right & left side of stove, then the cake pan in the valley between them. Now, 3 or 4 cross beams over the top of the pan to support your wood load.

looks like below:
0000000 <firewood
---------- < 3 crossbeams
I _ _ I < 2 large splits with cake pan between them

Make sure your cross beams are only 1 or 2 inch diameter so that they dont choke off your draft
& leave at least 3/8 inch space between your firewood so the flames can lick around them.

STARTER FLUID: dont use too much!! 2, 3 or 4 onces depending on size pan and how much kindling wood & sawdust it contains. Smaller pans with less wood & sawdust 1 or 2 onces.
9 inch pans with 6 pieces or more of kindling & a heaping handfull of saw dust ,use 3 or 4 onces. If you put too much starter fluid just add saw dust to soak it up.

You will get the hang of it inside of 2 tries. Less is better than more, or at least safer.

What 2 expect when you light it off.

expect 11 inch to 14 in flames that last about 8 to 12 minutes.
expect your entire load to be well caught in 6 to 8 minutes with stack temp of 450 to 600 deg.
if you leave your primary air wide open on start up or crack open your door 2 inches like I do.

Expect not to ever have to spend 10 minutes crumpling up newpaper again 4 each fire.
Expect to get rid of that big pile of newpapers you have been saving up.
Expext not to have to shovel so much ash out of your stove.

AND EXPECT TO GET YOUR FINGERS BURNED when you take that hot pan out of the stove to
refill it with more kindling, saw dust and starter fluid. That is ,unelse you use fireplace gloves like I do.

Final thoughts, If you use too large splits on the right & left bottom, a 9 in round pan might not fit between them. You can bend the pan a little bit, to make up about 1 inch of clearance.

Maybe a rectangular pan would be better for some folks, but tape measure your clearance before you buy a pan.

The hieght of the pan need not be more that 1 inch , but 2 or 3 inches is ok if you have the clearance, so measure first. 1 inch will fit better than 3 inch.

try this,it worked very nicely 4 me, tonight. I never burn newspaper again.

cool, im in the process of burning the phone book to start my fire. its the only paper i get at my house. im not sure how to cancel it coming so i will burn it. before i clued in i just had a block plane sitting next to the stove and would make myself some nice small starter shavings.

Johnny Bravo,

I was not kidding,this really works well. I have always built my fire as described after I learned how to do it here at hearth.com

Before, I used to just throw the wood in hap hazzard & I wondered why my fires were so hard to start & burned so poorly & smoked up the neighbor hood.

Now , I get to max temp in 6 to 8 minutes, no smoke & now no newspapers , either.

It used to take 2 or 3 complete newspapers to get my old haphazzard fire started with poor burning. With the configuration I described, I can start a fire with less than one newspaper,
& have a fine fast hot fire.
Now with the pan, it starts even faster , & burns even better because of better draft without newspaper ashes to block the air flow & I dont spend 10 minutes crumpling papers with my arthuritic hands, as it was a stinker to try to seperate the sheets of paper.

If you read the board here, you will see that many hereuse that fire building configuration except for those that use top down fire which i just learned about and will try one of these days.

I suspect top down will take longer to reach max temp. I realize that you people with epa stoves dont have to worry about smoke but I still burn an old timer stove but have learned here how to opperate it nearly smokeless, most of the time.

Now ,just as soon as someone makes a 200,000 btu epa stove,I will look into retiring my old timer.

PS Johnny,

You can cancel your phone book by having your telephone disconnected, but if you have dial up internet you will loose internet service too.BTW ,I have 6 block planes & I never used even 1 of them ,ever. They were left to me by my uncle when he passed on.
They been collecting rust for 20 years now.
If you pm me your address, I will mail the block planes to you for free because I know that you will use them & they need a good home.
Be a rough row to hoe getting all that rust off of them though. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.