Ceramic insulation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodzilla

Dec 23, 2007
Mid-Michigan
I am wondering if draping some ceramic insulation overtop our insert would be beneficial. I was thinking of doing this because during installation of liner, I forgot to use insulation where it passes through smoke shelf. Did a top down stuffing around liner with some leftover insulation to "plug" air leaks. That only got down about 10 feet of a 25 ft. chimney.

You should install a block-off plate in the smoke shelf and lay some insulation on top of that. I would not lay any on top of the unit.

My dealer, amongst others recommended no block off plate. Now that liner is installed that seems almost impossible without un-installing entire setup. Is that really necessary? Am I the only one who did not use block off plate?

Its not required to have one. We don't install them unless a customer wants it. If the flue is sealed off at the top with a full liner that meets the specs of the install manuals for the units we install. The dealer probably recommended not having one because either they have never done it before, or they know it is a pain in the ass and didn't want to do it.

I only suggested the block-off plate as a safe alliterative to what you were thinking about doing.

I used kaowool on top of my insert and around the sides and back. It did make a difference in how much heat it blows out the front rather than up the chimney. I also stuffed some kawool around the pipe acting as a block off plate.

Ok that makes me feel a lot better. I know that my trusted sources at work didn't use them. My only real concern originally was just to keep my heat as close to the insert as possible. I just thought using some ceramic insulation would do the job nicely. I used some of the insulation where the stovetop and the cast iron boot meet (instructed to do so by dealer and friends).

That's what I'm talking about Rockey. I think I'll try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.