Ceramic Log Alternative

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, the Whitetail is on the list. Pook, I got you now, no, the door stays put! I'll set up a poll when for image ideas when the first run gets done, majority rule, although the majority better buy some! Thanks gang!

Pelletdude, here's a pict on my kitchen counter, it is very dark, did not want to wake the kids.....

Attachments

• 0930092028a.jpg
    0930092028a.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 624
GotzTheHotz said:
Pelletdude, here's a pict on my kitchen counter, it is very dark, did not want to wake the kids.....
Hotz, I can't see a thing in that pic.

(your kids sleep in the kitchen???) :lol:

Ah come on, you can see something! I'm not giving away trade secrets! And yes, I have twin 8 yr old boys, they don't venture far from the refrig.....

might I suggest a stencil of a house being consumed by flames.....for us comedians.

Delta-T said:
might I suggest a stencil of a house being consumed by flames.....for us comedians.

How about the pig face from Jay's (pig out) avatar? :lol:
Mike -

Hotz, let me know when you get to the logs w/ fire design, and whether or not it can be made to fit my new 10-CPM Englander stove.

Will it fit in the Harman insert?

I also like macman logs w/fire design :coolsmirk:

GotzTheHotz said:
Ah come on, you can see something! I'm not giving away trade secrets! And yes, I have twin 8 yr old boys, they don't venture far from the refrig.....

I thought you said you had TM and PP on that thing. So we should be able to see more of it.
I am interested in selling it at the shop.

Dude, they will be on the for sale page in a week or so, still doing paperwork and I want things righty tighty before I post (I manage a clinical hospital lab, we lab folks tend to be anal!). When they hit the for sale page, it will be complete with dimensions and photos and all other detail just so you know. I do appreciate your interest and everyones input, this page is the reason I pursue this endeavor! I also will post a poll in the near future regarding different images, you guys will have direct input on what images will be run, so you are all part of this. Craig, about polls, um, how do you do these? One last thing, these are currently made to stand on edge in flat bottomed pellet stove fire boxes (you know the ones), any ideas for the bottom feeders as far as adapting would be greatly appreciated!

GotzTheHotz said:
..... about polls, um, how do you do these?

Easy pezee, lemon squeezee. When you start a new topic, you'll see a spot at the bottom near where you put pics in that says "Poll.Add a poll to this topic"...click that link, the rest is self explanatory. You input the question, and list possible answers. I think the max. is 8 possible answers.

Bump! In the For Sale forum now, thanks all for the input!

macman said:
Hotz, let me know when you get to the logs w/ fire design, and whether or not it can be made to fit my new 10-CPM Englander stove.

I made something similar for my new Englander insert........I have access to scrap stainless & a plasma cutter at work........Made this out of 2 L shaped pieces of strap iron & a !2" x 9" piece of stainless .....A flame insert for my stove & got rid of the ugly fake logs it came with. I'm no artist, but I think it turned out OK.

My stove flames now even with it off.

Tom in Oh

Attachments

• zoey.jpg
    zoey.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 447
Looks good would love to see a few more designs. Let me know when you get them posted up for sale. Nice job.

Arnold said:
.....A flame insert for my stove & got rid of the ugly fake logs it came with. I'm no artist, but I think it turned out OK. My stove flames now even with it off.

Tom in Oh

Tom, that came out nice!

Guess I'm not the only guy with a good idea, beautiful Tom! What I have image wise now is posted for sale, image wise I'm open to ideas! Thanks gang.

Tom, you stole my dog too!

Attachments

• 100_0813.jpg
    100_0813.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 345
GotzTheHotz said:

Actually we have a matched set of pups, (brother & sister) but the female always gets to the hearth pad first ! They'll be a year old in December.

I took the fake logs out of my stove because the ash would pile up between them & the glass & look horrible. Ran it that way for a couple days, but then an occasional pellet would miss the burn pot & bounce out & lay next to the glass, smolder & stain the glass really badly, to the point I was not sure it would clean off. I had a bin of these L shaped brackets at work surplus from a job & took a couple home & placed them between the burn pot & the door where the logs would sit.
This worked to keep the pellets away from the glass, but wasn't very pretty. I had an old flame decal for a car window, & traced the outline on a piece of scrap stainless at work & cut the flames out freehand.

Here's a pic of the brackets I had:

Attachments

• MVC-009F.jpg
    MVC-009F.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 326
GotzTheHotz said:
Guess I'm not the only guy with a good idea, beautiful Tom! What I have image wise now is posted for sale, image wise I'm open to ideas! Thanks gang.

Hotz, posted where??

Arnold said:
GotzTheHotz said:

Actually we have a matched set of pups, (brother & sister) but the female always gets to the hearth pad first ! They'll be a year old in December.

I took the fake logs out of my stove because the ash would pile up between them & the glass & look horrible. Ran it that way for a couple days, but then an occasional pellet would miss the burn pot & bounce out & lay next to the glass, smolder & stain the glass really badly, to the point I was not sure it would clean off. I had a bin of these L shaped brackets at work surplus from a job & took a couple home & placed them between the burn pot & the door where the logs would sit.
This worked to keep the pellets away from the glass, but wasn't very pretty. I had an old flame decal for a car window, & traced the outline on a piece of scrap stainless at work & cut the flames out freehand.

I just doubled them up to cup the front of the burn pot & laid them in to see if they would work to stop the errant pellets from getting to the glass. that worked, but was ugly. So I added the flame design. See the paper template & then see how I sandwiched it between the steel L brackets. A little welding & it was done. Hardest part was cutting out the paper template.......that took the longest.

Attachments

• MVC-010F.jpg
    MVC-010F.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 561
  • MVC-011F.jpg
    MVC-011F.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 568
  • MVC-012F.jpg
    MVC-012F.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 576
Arnold said:
Arnold said:
GotzTheHotz said:

I just doubled them up to cup the front of the burn pot & laid them in to see if they would work to stop the errant pellets from getting to the glass. that worked, but was ugly. So I added the flame design. See the paper template & then see how I sandwiched it between the steel L brackets. A little welding & it was done. Hardest part was cutting out the paper template.......that took the longest.

I'll pull the flame insert out of the stove tonite & take a couple pictures of it & show the stove with & without the decor so you can see how it fits. I can show the original brackets with out the design in there too so you can see how industrial the stove looked with out anything in there.

Now anybody wanna buy a lightly used fake log ??? LOL !!!

Take care

Tom

Mac, For Sale forum. Tom, sweet! Stainless no doubt, very cool. OT-Hey Mac, you buy the new Mac mouse yet? I'm going to pick one up after work today, I'm sick of the other one as the darn ball does not work that well.

GotzTheHotz said:
Mac, For Sale forum......Hey Mac, you buy the new Mac mouse yet? I'm going to pick one up after work today, I'm sick of the other one as the darn ball does not work that well.

Thanks Hotz.

I've been using the optical Mac Mouse for a couple of years...no more dirty ball or rollers to clean, plus it works with any surface...no need for a mouse pad.

GotzTheHotz said:
Mac, For Sale forum. Tom, sweet! Stainless no doubt, very cool. OT-Hey Mac, you buy the new Mac mouse yet? I'm going to pick one up after work today, I'm sick of the other one as the darn ball does not work that well.

More pics: Stove without logs..........pretty bare !

Attachments

• MVC-013S.jpg
    MVC-013S.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 493
Status
Not open for further replies.