ceramic or porcelain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
OK here goes. I'm new to wood stoves but have been doing a fair bit of reading on line. We are putting in a hearthstone Tribute. I am having the install done, but I am building the hearth my self. I have the R factors all figured, and the design for the raised platform that the pad will be fastened to. My question is about the tile. I have found many web pages that talk about ceramic tile, but haven't seen much of anything about porcelain. I have picked out a nice porcelain tile, that is .394 inch thick. I have met the R factor with the pad without the tile, but I am curious about it anyway.

jeffman3 said:
OK here goes. I'm new to wood stoves but have been doing a fair bit of reading on line. We are putting in a hearthstone Tribute. I am having the install done, but I am building the hearth my self. I have the R factors all figured, and the design for the raised platform that the pad will be fastened to. My question is about the tile. I have found many web pages that talk about ceramic tile, but haven't seen much of anything about porcelain. I have picked out a nice porcelain tile, that is .394 inch thick. I have met the R factor with the pad without the tile, but I am curious about it anyway.

We just did a new hearth job and all the PROS at both the tile places and Lowes said PORCELAIN.

We went with a 13" PORCELEIN tile and rated PEI-5.... do a Google on 'PEI Tile' (The Porcelain Enamel Institute).

Look for a PEI of 4 or 5 according to the PROS!

The stuff is brutal to cut but that is what I would want under and around my stove.

J&K;

I have a skill saw with a diamond blade. Will that work or do I realy need a wet saw?

jeffman3 said:
I have a skill saw with a diamond blade. Will that work or do I realy need a wet saw?
You really need a wet saw.....if not you're going to struggle with the circular saw....plus you'll have a hard time making straight cuts.

JohnnyBravo said:
skill will work, it will be dusty. do it outside.
If you decide to use the circuler saw, Bravo is right..it will be dusty! Make sure you wear a dust mask, you definitely don't want to breathe in any tile dust.

We are pushing the limits of the finances with this project now. I really don't want to get another power tool that I will use once, and it sits for a year or two till the next project :-S . I'll talk to the wife, and see if a trip to the Menards with the charge card is in order? If I do buy a saw I can see myself tiling the kitchen next. :gulp:

jeffman3 said:
Depends upon the saw speed and patience.

Here are some things you want to do first.

Lay out the whole project with spaceers... measure 4 times and then cut your Durock.

If you have only straight cuts you may get away with a circ saw and diamond blade.

This is how I did it.

I cannot stress enough that you use GOGGLES and a MASK.

I used a small table saw (3 HP) with a masonary blade. I set the bench on the saw for the cut and the blade a milimeter above the table and then moved the backside of tile slowly, raising the blade so you just see sparks coming off the tile. My tile was 'lugged' on the back and took about 5 times to get so it scored the back totally. Then I did the same to the front of the tile so it scored it from front to back. The stuff is BRUTTAL.

Then reverse the tile again and keep working on the back of the tile, it will split!!!

Of the 4 tiles I had to cut, I only ruined 1 of them. I have done this on 3 other tile jobs and seems to be the best for PEI-4 or PEI-5. The price here for renting a wet-saw is $45/day.

Expect to spend 20 minutes/tile to cut the way I did.

Good luck,
J&K;

JohnnyBravo said:
skill will work, it will be dusty. do it outside.

If did the cutting Saturday, with a circ saw I would be still out there. Instead I am enjoying the the warth of my stove.

PORCELAIN... Not your regular tile.

if you have a Harbor Freight nearby they sell a cheapo wet saw that will get the job done adn isn't expensive.

jeffman3 said:

You are welcome to look at the photos we took during our project or contact me direct. We are frugal but we know and want quality too.

IMGP0179.png

J&K;

DavidV said:
if you have a Harbor Freight nearby they sell a cheapo wet saw that will get the job done adn isn't expensive.

We bought the tiles at Lowes, this location has a 'wet saw' on site and will cut the tiles at NO CHARGE. We live 35 minutes away so my cutting option was the best for us.

Damn... build a HD or Lowes closer. :cheese:

Thanks for the advise, I may just pick out a different tile. We haven't bought them yet, just had them all picked out. I sure am glad I decided to ask about them. I will also check out a rental saw. I really like the tile we chose, but I have to be able to work with it too. This will be my first tile job, and I don't know if I really want to take on the toughest tile out there, if you get what I'm saying. I am very handy, but I'm thinking I may want to work with something a bit easier to work with.

jeffman3 said:
Thanks for the advise, I may just pick out a different tile. We haven't bought them yet, just had them all picked out. I sure am glad I decided to ask about them. I will also check out a rental saw. I really like the tile we chose, but I have to be able to work with it too. This will be my first tile job, and I don't know if I really want to take on the toughest tile out there, if you get what I'm saying. I am very handy, but I'm thinking I may want to work with something a bit easier to work with.

Then take up FIREFIGHTING... it will help save your family's life if you nickle or dime. Take on the challenge. I did it wrong at times when I was young and dumb and regretted that I didn't do it right the FIRST TIME.

Some people think a screw driver has one too many moving parts! :gulp:

The tile we bought at Lowes which was PEI-5 was $1.97/tile (13"x13") and we loved the look. We also were looking at tile that was $6+ and would have done that too.

You can blow away 5 tiles for a Ten Spot.

Take on the challenge...S U P E R D U R A B I L I T Y.

Lay out the design, if you can, with the least number of cuts.

Don't five & dime the safety of your family. :roll:

I'll leave you a PM with our phone #,
J&K;

Status
Not open for further replies.