Ceramic Tile Adhesive...premix or drymix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now at the point where i have sucessfully constructed my hearth with the exception of the tile. I have more than enough R-value close to R-3 when my stove only reccommends R-2. I would like to know if ready mix tile adhesive is a wrong choice and/or dangerous for the setting of my tiles. It was recommended by the tile guy at homeDepot , but upon further inspection I see the premix contains petroleum distalates. Is this product unsafe for a wood stove hearth, or do the petroleum distilates become inert once the adhesive dries? I was told the premix is easier to clean up and I know some members of this forum have used it without any adverse affects.

Any and all help appreciated
Joltin Joe

I've used the dry mix on the small jobs I've done. Cleanup is easy as long as it isn't allowed to dry.

JPapiPE said:
I am now at the point where i have sucessfully constructed my hearth with the exception of the tile. I have more than enough R-value close to R-3 when my stove only reccommends R-2. I would like to know if ready mix tile adhesive is a wrong choice and/or dangerous for the setting of my tiles. It was recommended by the tile guy at homeDepot , but upon further inspection I see the premix contains petroleum distalates. Is this product unsafe for a wood stove hearth, or do the petroleum distilates become inert once the adhesive dries? I was told the premix is easier to clean up and I know some members of this forum have used it without any adverse affects.

Any and all help appreciated
Joltin Joe

Don't use premixed, don't use mastic's or any of that crap. Horrible products that offer no flex, and always end with failed installations.

Use a latex modified dry mix. If you don't have a good 1/2 inch drill, then I'd get one. You don't want to be mixing this stuff with a stick.....

I gave up on the latex based mastics a long time ago and now use thinset mortar instead. I think it is easier to clean up and sets up like a rock. It mixes up just like regular mortar and is a lot cheaper, too. Should also be more fire resistant.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.