Cermaic Fire Blanket 1" or 1/2"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Nov 6, 2013
Maine
Hi Folks,
Last winter was my first heating with wood. Wound up upgrading from an NC-13 I found off craigslist to an NC-30 thanks to this forum. It's such a wealth of information. I'm going to deal with the gap in the cermaic fiber board by using the steel rod and gasket and want to put an additional layer of fire blanket above it as I've seen suggested. Will the NC -30 handle the 1 inch layer? Thanks in advance for you input.

I've never heard of adding a layer above the baffle boards on the 30. Some stoves are designed to have a blanket up there, but the 30 is not. There is plate infront of the flue collar that acts to deflect gasses around before heading up and out. My concern would be that a blanket could restrict too much and cause you draft issues.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck with the 30, I do love mine.

For me, the best upgrade I did to my 30 was to remove my ash plug and replace it with a piece of firebrick. I put a bit of furnace cement around the hole first, then set the firebrick in. That step might not be necessary, as the ash should seal around the firebrick well, but I did it just to be certain. The ash pan / hole is my only complaint about the stove. Wish it never had one.

pen

I've considered trying to find some 1/4" blanket material, and cutting a large W shape to cover the seams in the middle, edges, and rear. Not sure if that would make a difference sealing the edges or not.

Thanks for your replies. Anyone else out there care to weigh in? In researching past threads I came across a few threads on this this subject. I will definitely take you up on filling the ash plug with fire brick Pen. Some said they had success adding another layer of fire board going the other direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.