Certain paints? Wall finishing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokoni

Nov 28, 2005
I read in a past Q&A that wonderboard can be painted behind a stove with "certain paints". Can you tell me what those paints are and also can I skim the wonderboard with drywall mud before painting to smooth out? I have required clearances from the back of the stove to combustibles. I'm now just considering the double wall pipe and connector t that will meet at my wall (made of wonderboard).

I mounted durock (cement board) behind my woodstove (on one inch spacers) and then primed it with Kilz
After that I used joint compound and sanded the whole thing smooth then primed and used regular Behr paint and its done, I'll post a pic tonight

Our stove does have a rear heat shield and I put a chimney pipe heat shield on the back of the pipe as well

All the advice i agree with but Behr paint leave a lot to be desirered Use Ben Moore Superior paint and not bought from Home Crapo

Behr paint is one of the better paints out there, why the hate %-P
It is always rated favorably by independent studies.
Olympic is a good one too (though Lowes and me have issues, I will post when the chimney debacle is finished and I find out what my running discount/reimbursement is)

Never used Benjamin Moore so I cant say one way or the other

So, it's okay for the pipe to come close to the paint and drywall compound? I see that your pipe runs out the top of your stove, mine runs out the back.

Dont know about that
I would expect some discoloration of the paint if it the temps get high

I can put my hand on the back of my stove and on the chimney pipe where I have the heat shield

I used to use Behr paint, it's sticky, doesn't dry smooth, goes on too thick, seems to stay sticky for an extremely long time (30+ days) and it sure knows how to rip out all the fibers of my paint roller and put them on the wall (because it's thick & sticky). I bought a can of Benjamin Moore for about $35 dollars and had second thoughts, $35 instead of $22 Behr? That one can of Benjamin Moore went on smooth, it dried hard, wasn't sticky, hid defects better, didn't pull the fibers off my rollers, it left a smoother finish and that one can went a little further than 2 cans of Behr paint so, instead of paying $44 for 2 gallons of Behr I was able to do it with one $35 gallon of Benjamin Moore. My wife is the critic, afterward she said what a difference we won't be using Behr anymore. You won't find painters using Behr either, that tells me something. I go into Benjamin Moore and found out that's where they hang out, out of the 4 people buying paint I was the only non-professional there.

Behr does get good reviews particularly with Consumer reports and I haven't figured that out. I think the coverage stinks, the looks stink, my fibers it embeds in the wall stinks, it stays sticky for a long time and that stinks, and you need a lot of it which stinks. You get the drift. After using Benjamin Moore, I won't use Behr. Though, Behr water based primer is the best hands down, that primer needs to get an award it blows the socks off even oil based primers. For those tough stains and stain blocking I used to use Zinsser oil based primer to cover water & smoke stains. Behr water based primer though, blew it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.