Certification for building regulations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peastwood

Apr 4, 2015
Birmingham
Hi, I am in Birmingham Uk, and am planning to install a multifuel stove as a DIY project. I have notified building control, and an inspector came out. He wasn't helpful at all, and insisted I need a HETAS registered installer to commission the job and perform smoke tests etc in accordance with part J of buildings regs when I have finished installation.
I have found conflicting opinions all over the Internet, some saying I can do this myself, others say I need someone who has a qualification.
I have researched all the technicalities of installation and am fully confident I am able to fulfill all requirements, but I am reluctant to start work until I know I won't have a hurdle at the end of the job that can't be resolved easily regarding signing the job off.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
Paul.

Move to America! [emoji12]

J/k... We do have a few UK members here, hopefully they can offer some guidance.

On our side of the pond, this is a non-issue, excepting some of the more restrictive locales.

Hmmmm! We got rules and regulations for the sake of having rules and regulations over here, but nobody seems to know which are correct! Thanks for reply tho.

You need to check your local regulations. Where I am located I can do any work myself but need an inspection on my plumbing only. Next door to me, inside the city limits, I would need far more inspections including electrical and framing inspections. This kind of thing is very local and you need to know the rules where you are installing. I would start by checking with your local building authority since they will know what they allow and do not allow. I have lived in places where I could not replace an electrical receptacle in my own home, what you would call the mains, unless I was a licensed electrician because of the local ordinances, even though the work is technically very simple.

Thanks for that, but lots of hurdles in the way, building inspector that came out knew nothing on the subject, and he actually admitted as much, and so referred me to an independent body (HETAS) who are not always willing to cooperate with DIY projects.
They are likely to charge a lot too, for work I can easily do myself. It just seems money for old rope! Cheers for your input though, much appreciated.

You need to check your local regulations. Where I am located I can do any work myself but need an inspection on my plumbing only. Next door to me, inside the city limits, I would need far more inspections including electrical and framing inspections. This kind of thing is very local and you need to know the rules where you are installing. I would start by checking with your local building authority since they will know what they allow and do not allow. I have lived in places where I could not replace an electrical receptacle in my own home, what you would call the mains, unless I was a licensed electrician because of the local ordinances, even though the work is technically very simple.
How would they know? I've gutted the plumbing from two houses, and redone in all new copper. Can't count the amount of old wiring I've pulled and replaced, new receptacles, etc. Never had any code enforcement officer stop by to ask if I've replaced any receptacles lately. I figure it's my house, no one's business what I do with it.

How would they know? I've gutted the plumbing from two houses, and redone in all new copper. Can't count the amount of old wiring I've pulled and replaced, new receptacles, etc. Never had any code enforcement officer stop by to ask if I've replaced any receptacles lately. I figure it's my house, no one's business what I do with it.

So has my neighbor. For 30 years. Now he has built his dream retirement home down on the Northern Neck and can't sell the old one until he brings all of his DIY work on the old one up to current code. He is gonna die owning two houses.

So has my neighbor. For 30 years. Now he has built his dream retirement home down on the Northern Neck and can't sell the old one until he brings all of his DIY work on the old one up to current code. He is gonna die owning two houses.
One down side of date stamps on modern Romex and PVC. Before that, one could claim "grandfathered" on just about anything in an old house.

The new ground fault / arc fault requirements in NEC 2014 are fun. Talk about a solution with more issues than the problem. Thankfully, PA is still operating on NEC 2008.

Just sold a house in 2011, in which I had done all wiring and plumbing, as well as finishing off the third floor as a master suite. No permits, no issue selling.

Did I mention that me and him built a two story 1,800 sq. ft. "shop", with poured basement next to his house in 1991? Bigger than his house. Permitted as a garage.

Whoops.

Reactions: Ashful
Other than a county well and septic test, there are no inspections in my town. We have more Amish than English, and more cows than people here, too.

I got a result from building control, I sent them a long email assuring them I will be adhering to all the correct procedures, and take photos etc. I also insisted I will perform the two required smoke tests in the presence of their inspector, which will prove (a) there's no fumes or smoke leaks in the dwelling, or neighbouring house, and (b) that there's enough 'draw' from the chimney and there is adequate ventilation. They were happy with me doing the entire stove and flue liner install myself!

Thanks for that, but lots of hurdles in the way, building inspector that came out knew nothing on the subject, and he actually admitted as much, and so referred me to an independent body (HETAS) who are not always willing to cooperate with DIY projects.
They are likely to charge a lot too, for work I can easily do myself. It just seems money for old rope! Cheers for your input though, much appreciated.

I hate when an inspector says I need a professional to do a job when I have more knowledge than the actual inspector.. welcome to my world lol.

I got a result from building control, I sent them a long email assuring them I will be adhering to all the correct procedures, and take photos etc. I also insisted I will perform the two required smoke tests in the presence of their inspector, which will prove (a) there's no fumes or smoke leaks in the dwelling, or neighbouring house, and (b) that there's enough 'draw' from the chimney and there is adequate ventilation. They were happy with me doing the entire stove and flue liner install myself!

Im glad everything worked out so far, what I have found out with dealing with "professionals" is if you show responsiblitly, persistence, confidence and knowledge they tend to let you do what you've set out to do. Good Luck across the pond

Status
Not open for further replies.