CFM Closing it's Mississauga Plant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

david Lee

Nov 18, 2005
Old news by now but if you've not heard, CFM is closing it's Mississauga plant and shifting most of it's production to Mexico and China with some coming to Huntington.

Be on the lookout for the new Dutchwest El Diablo insert. And the Century Hearth Hunan free standing stove. You fill it but an hour later it is empty again.

This is the exact opposite story as told to Goose and I in DEC. While doing the plant tour. What was told to us was, that only overseas manufacturing of CFM products were the gas grills sold at Home Depot. CFM just opened a plant in Ohio for its Centry line of stoves and that it closed down all Mexico opperations. To augment the Ohio production they decided not to close the
Mississauga Plant. We were told that all opperations were being moved to North America.. Remind you this was in Mid DEC. I don't know when this article was posted. Goose and I questioned them about this and I felt they had no reason to lie to us. Maybe since DEC they decided and re-evaluated opperations. However the last time I studied geography, Mexico was still part of North America. as is Canada

They are just sending operations overseas so they can blame the poor workmanship & design on Mexico & China :)

I don't know I can see an NC-13 Endlander occupying my hearth in the familly room.. Maybe I'll look around to see what turns up. Though this Interpid has done the job better than expected.

I could use it to extend the donor program

HarryBack said:
I heard they are farming out all of their casting work to....wait for it.....VOGELZANG!

Vermontelzang?

Vogel Castings?

DutchZang?

This expansion of our low cost Mexicali manufacturing capability along
with a strengthening of our Asian sourcing team allows us to rapidly improve our capability to
become the supplier of premium barbeque grills and portable heating
products.”

That doesn't sound like the right direction.

VC focusing on BBQ's huh? Guess you better buy a VC while you still can.

What began as a desire to celebrate the Vermont experience by using Vermont Castings
Stoves has become reality at the 2007 HPBExpo. CFM and Vermont Castings
commissioned Vermont fine artist, Terry Lindsey to hand paint two Vermont Castings
stoves, transforming the industry’s best of class stove products into beautiful works of
art.
The two beautifully painted stoves are entitled “Old Glory” and “Vistas of Vermont.”
“Old Glory” is a tribute to the United States Flag, artfully draped over a Vermont
Castings Stove. The painterly brush strokes are evident on every surface with stars
reaching high and two proud bald eagles flying across the stove.
“The Vistas of Vermont” captures several highlights of Vermont, notably Camel Hump
Mountain, Mt. Mansfield and Morgan Horse Statue. Artist Lindsey again used every inch
of the Vermont Casting Stove as her canvas, traversing the countryside to discover the
beauty of Vermont.

Personally, I think the painted stoves idea is nuts. I wouldn't own one if you paid me. I think the VC cast iron line is plenty attractive enough without this kind of decoration. But maybe there's a market for this kind of stuff, right along with the black velvet Elvis.

BeGreen said:
Personally, I think the painted stoves idea is nuts. I wouldn't own one if you paid me. I think the VC cast iron line is plenty attractive enough without this kind of decoration. But maybe there's a market for this kind of stuff, right along with the black velvet Elvis.

"Lord Almighty, I feel stack temperture rising."

Sorry to all those that have the velvet Elvis out there, just not my thing. :)

BeGreen said:
Sorry to all those that have the velvet Elvis out there, just not my thing. :)

Heck, just wait until you see the Dale Ernhardt edition Intrepid. Big number three on the top of it. Chrome stack. Wood injection. The works.

I'll definitely have to reserve one of those for my Nascar room. Does it have the Stewart and Warner temp gauges? If yes, I'm sold.

This doesn't say anything about the Cast stoves though. Right? Won't VC cast, and thus Harman's still be cast in USA?

What about Lopi's? Aren't they USA also? or is the welding done elsewhere?

Travis Industries is USA - WA state, so are Quadrafire and Country. But they don't make every single part in the stove in the factory. For example, perhaps the blowers will start to come from overseas. In the case of the Quad cast stoves, I believe the castings come from Belgium.

https://www.hearth.com/articles/93_0_1_0_M7.html

Some of the Quad units are now (Since last year sometime) being built in China, and shipped back to the USA. :(
They started doing it after the huge rush when no one could keep up. It doubled thier production.

Sad thing is bottom line this means a number of US families lost their jobs while more foreign made products with US names enter our homes.

anyone have the link to that article saying they're moving? thanks.

Keep in mind the only things made in the Mississauga plant was gas inserts and gas fireplaces. BBQ final assembly was there also. Vermont castings cast iron products come from Randolph VT (foundry) and Bethel VT (enameling and final assembly). I was told this closure was to reduce overall capacity. This makes sense. We had a tough season in the hearth business. Sales were down throughout the industry. I would rather see CFM close a high rent location and shift production between other facilities than have financial problems due to sales not meeting fixed costs. I am a large distributor and had to make similar moves this year. It is not the end of the world you just need to size your business to reflect your sales.

I think the Sequoia wood burning fireplace were being made there too. Wasn't there a recall out of that plant for bad welds on those fireplaces last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.