CFM - Sequoia - Recall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

david Lee

Nov 18, 2005
More great news for CFM....

The Mississauga News
Jun 29, 2006

A Mississauga company has voluntarily agreed to recall about 1,300 wood-burning fireplaces in the United States as requested by the U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Three models of Sequoia Fireplaces, manufactured by CFM Corporation, are being recalled because of a potential fire hazard.

Because of insufficient insulation or a missing weld, some of the units could pose a hazard. No injuries have been reported involving any of the products, the U.S. agency said.

Only models EWF30, EWF36 and EWF36A are affected by the recall in the CFM fireplace line. They were sold for between $2,200 and $3,000 a unit in Canada and the U.S. by Vermont Castings dealers between Jan. 1 2003 and mid-April this year.

Consumers are advised to stop using the product immediately.

CFM has agreed to go to homes to repair every affected fireplace. Photographs of the models being recalled can be viewed by visiting www.cpsc.gov.

Boy, Elk is not going to like this thread! Didn't we have a thread awhile back about CFM turning the corner?

Made can be substuted for sold they are made in Canada not Bethel VT

Yeah I imagine that might make you look not so good too, i guess.

Is it your responsibility to call the customer? Or are they on their own? I'm just wondering

It hasn't shipped from the dist. warehouse yet so I'm sure if its in the serial# they probably won't ship it. Usually though yes it is my responsibility to do the service work. Though they said a missing weld so that might be a little different. We'll see how it pans out. I don't think it will make me look bad personally, though it may cast a shadow of doubt on the customers purchase decision. Heck maybe the one I ordered isn't even affected.

Went to the CPSC website, you can add Heat Glow's Twilight to the recall list effective July 5th 2006.

On the subject of recalls:

I got a little surprise last week. I went looking on the web for a place to buy a small part for my 1985 GE dishwasher. It seems the model has started something like 90 fires and has been on a recall since 1999.

Sure glad to find out about it so fast.

BroBart (sitting in the kitchen with a good book and the fire extingisher washing a load of dishes)

Todd said:
Boy, Elk is not going to like this thread! Didn't we have a thread awhile back about CFM turning the corner?

I'm sad.... :-/
I've got two (2) CFM 244SE's & I Love them!
Sadly, I was the person who started the "CFM Turning the Corner" thread.
But, I still don't reget owning my stoves.
Work much better than their much more expensive predecessors.

Rob

Things get recalled. It's a fact of life and there are no products on the market today that aren't suceptible. I would not start to question it if they were recalling something every couple of months but the occasional recall is something that is unavoidable. All major automobile manufacturers have recalls. A few years back it seemed we were hearing about child seats being recalled at least once a week. In fact many recalls are the result of defective parts being provided from third party vendors, ie. blower & remote control manufacturers.

I've sold 4 of the Sequoia II. 3 of them are part of the recall. What CFM is not saying is that some of them have a blockage or the primary air tube is not connected to the air inlet at the bottom of the fireplace, so there is no primary air ( stove doesn't work). I have one that is already installed with about $10,000.00 of rock work on the front of it and have been dealing with it from late Jan 06. The new ones from the factory should have a green dot on the box to let the dealer know that there ok. I got two in on my early buy and I have tested them out with a smoke bomb in the air inlet to to may sure that it's going to work when I sell them.

We had just finished up an install of the Sequioa EPA (the big one) when I got the notice from CFM. I voluntarily called the customer (a builder who will re-sell the home) and he was very appreciative. CFM contacted him directly to handle the repair. In his case it was just some missing insulation.

I would say CFM has turned the corner. Having to recall is not going to change that. It happens to alot of companies. I would be more concerned if they didn't notify their customers. They are doing what is needed to correct the problem, at their cost.

Sean

scary stuff, Elk! I want to get an Ox and an Oxcart.....put a SMV sign on it, and go to work that way! Imagine how PO'd all those dudes in their Hummers, BMW's, Ford's, would get if they got stuck behind me going to work?! Priceless! And in the state of Massachusetts, you cant pass, unless waved and allowed to do so by the rider! Boy, if I had a bad day, noone would pass! Id get me wonna those straw hats, overalls (wear them with my chaps, of course), throw a bale of hay or two in back, eh...you get the picture!

A while back Robert Shaw gas valves were recalled the effected gas grills and stoves

There is huge outlet mall in my town all sprinkler heads had to be replaced due to recall
this turned into a major problem and the original ones had a 20' radius coverage the replacement only 10'
We are dealing with public safety grounds to close the mall down during the recall repair. I mean millions of $$ lost
To boot late Nov and took till late Jan to re route all stores and lines for the 10' head patterns. Fire dept got a lot of over time
The arangement was the mall or sprinKler company paid for their presence two crews and amblance to remain open

So during times of prosperity we build a new Libruary ( sp) Put in water bubblers. They break and leak all over the place a defective part The plumber shuts the water supply off and has been waiting for the replacement parts comming from china for nearly 2 years,
they have not arrived yet. Talk about a slow boat from China. This is the market place we have choosen. We manufacture almost nothing in USA anymore.

BrotherBart said:
On the subject of recalls:

I got a little surprise last week. I went looking on the web for a place to buy a small part for my 1985 GE dishwasher. It seems the model has started something like 90 fires and has been on a recall since 1999.

Sure glad to find out about it so fast.

BroBart (sitting in the kitchen with a good book and the fire extingisher washing a load of dishes)

Just talked last night to a friend I hadn't seen in a few months, and her parents' house burned down (while they were out) as a result of a dishwasher short and fire.

I'd never even really considered it a possibility. Ironically the father was a retired fireman.

Steve

I think that VC has started to turn around, but they didn't do this recall because they wanted to. VC did it because the government got involved. They dragged their feet saying knowthing was wrong untill they had a large number of their dealers mad because the fireplaces didn't work. Don't get me wrong I thing that VC makes the best cast iron stove out there, and I sell alot of them. I felt that the tech department played the "it must be the install" that is the problem not the Fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.