chain advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
savageactor7 said:
fbelec don't get mad at this suggestion but...make sure the chain isn't on backwards. I was re-reading your post and was thinking about why the engine would rev up as the chain stopped cutting.

And as long as you're gonna flip the bar ...with a bare hand carefully feel along all edges of the bar for any burrs that curve around the edge. Take a flat file to them.

i wouldn't get mad at a suggestion. i've found alot of simple mistakes mad by the simplist suggestion that thinking that wouldn't happen :lol:
the chain used to really cut well. would it cut well right from the get go only to find out later after it's not working it was backwards?
the saw came assembled. not that this doesn't mean someone could have installed it wrong. (monday morning at 8 am or friday afternoon at 4:45) i'll check for burrs.

thanks
frank

tried to take some pictures of the bar and chain this morning. but the camera wouldn't do it. it kept coming out blurry. i guess the old digital camera can't do it. i try again this week end. in the shade. this morning was in the sun.

I had a saw long long ago well I still have it but I don't claim it.... A Troy Built It started to act up..I would file the chain and go make a cut and it would only go a inch or so then it would just be dull.. No more cutting till I sharpened the chain and it would do this all over....Turned out that it was not giving enough oil...I would point it at something and rev it up and oil would come off the tip of the bar.. It turned out to be that the hose feeding the the bar was broken and when in the cut with the saw flexing it would open up and starve the bar for oil....

I ordered all the stuff I needed to fix the saw..In fact I got double everything..It took so long for the parts to show up I bought the 290 and never looked back...

Tractor Supply $50 brand new troy built 18" saw I had to buy it..It was new in the case and I was there picking up my hotblast and I knew I was going to need a saw.... Ok I was dumb what can I say??????????????

O just leave me alone we all make mistakes.....

southbound said:
I had a saw long long ago well I still have it but I don't claim it.... A Troy Built It started to act up..I would file the chain and go make a cut and it would only go a inch or so then it would just be dull.. No more cutting till I sharpened the chain and it would do this all over....Turned out that it was not giving enough oil...I would point it at something and rev it up and oil would come off the tip of the bar.. It turned out to be that the hose feeding the the bar was broken and when in the cut with the saw flexing it would open up and starve the bar for oil....

I ordered all the stuff I needed to fix the saw..In fact I got double everything..It took so long for the parts to show up I bought the 290 and never looked back...

Tractor Supply $50 brand new troy built 18" saw I had to buy it..It was new in the case and I was there picking up my hotblast and I knew I was going to need a saw.... Ok I was dumb what can I say??????????????

O just leave me alone we all make mistakes.....

i've got to take it apart and clean it anyway. thanks for that, i'll look to see. when i rev it up oil does come off the bar so i didn't even think about that. with all the fine wood dust coming off the saw it wouldn't surprize me. i got to fix the off swith too, it decided that it doesn't want to shut off any more. i think the saw is trying to tell me it wants to work, or something like that.

well i found the problems. there were a number of them. thanks to all you out here with the smarts to figure out my problem.
i took it apart to at least clean it. after i got it apart i felt like first time car driver that was suppose to change his oil but didn't know any better. i use to be a auto mechanic, and would think that i would of had at least a clue as to do preventive maintenance. this thing had so much buildup under the clutch cover i had to peel it out. it was like wax. now that i see how much oil is being feed to the chain now i had to be semi blocked. i didn't know how to get off the clutch to grease the needle bearings. after hours and the manual and still couldn't do it i put it together. i cleaned out the air cleaner and the cooling fins. the bar had such a burr on one side it wasn't funny. filed that off. flipped the bar over. put the chain back on resharpened the chain and and took down some off the rakers. i found the angle that i was using that all in one sharpening tool was not doing a good enough job taking down the rakers. i still think i might have to take a little more of them. got it all together and sparked it up and tried it out. it's like a new saw.

thanks guys
frank

Status
Not open for further replies.