Chain and bar replacement? Pioneer Farmsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moterhead3

Oct 13, 2007
Bethel Twp PA
I got bored with of my Craftsman 55cc (biggest sears had 3 years ago). Cuts great as long as you keep the RPM's up. Just dosn't seem to have the torque at low RPM's a motor that big should have. I have a 1980's Pioneer Farmsaw that hasn't run in about 15 years because the compression release rod broke and it kept tearing up starter pulleys. Drilled a hole in the pull start cover, push the button while starting, runs great. The chain is beat, but its .058 x 3/8. Can I use a .050 x 3/8 as long as I change the bar? Can I use any 3/8 pitch chain as long as I change the bar? Thanks.

I just got my bar reground and a new nose tip put on...you might want to consider that route. It's less expensive going that route but it's a good idea to always have a spare bar handy.

That Craftsman 55cc should cut everything at half throttle try replacing the chain and if your just bucking wood take off those spiked bumpers and just let the saw do the cutting. No offense to those that use them but I've seen so many users horse their saws with the leverage those bumper provide its almost like saw abuse to me...and blow out or replace the air filter and see if that helps. A dull chain puts out tons of dust that just gets sucked up by the saw.

moterhead3 said:
I got bored with of my Craftsman 55cc (biggest sears had 3 years ago). Cuts great as long as you keep the RPM's up. Just dosn't seem to have the torque at low RPM's a motor that big should have. I have a 1980's Pioneer Farmsaw that hasn't run in about 15 years because the compression release rod broke and it kept tearing up starter pulleys. Drilled a hole in the pull start cover, push the button while starting, runs great. The chain is beat, but its .058 x 3/8. Can I use a .050 x 3/8 as long as I change the bar? Can I use any 3/8 pitch chain as long as I change the bar? Thanks.

Yes, as long as the bar and chain are the same gauge, you'll be set. If your bar is OK or can be squared up with a file (or grinder, or whatever) then a new loop or two of 3/8"-.058 will get you back in action.

I don't know what the deal was with that 55cc Craftsman but a ton of them showed up as "factory reconditioned" saws on eBay and other places.

I was in an outlet store, not a Sears outlet, in Texas a couple of years ago and they had a stack of them up to the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.