Chain & Bar Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but you can certainly deduce that I'll have 300 more opportunities to play at the club. Oh, and I'll have the time to go with the time saved. Y'all can make chase your materials and make your potions, I'll be in the hammock out back.

S

My filtration sustem cost me about $60 to build and actually saves me time. It used to take me a few hours every couple of months to load up the waste oil and haul it to a guy who burned it in a heating system. Now it gets dumped into the system right out of my drain pan and I never touch it again untill its time to pump it into jugs. A few years ago when oil was really high I figured I saved close to $10,000 with that $60 system.
For the average wood cutter its prolly not worth setting up a system but laying a layer of denim in the bottom of a funnel on top of an empty jug is a no brainer and hardly time consuming. Your not just saving a buck your saving $6 and a trip to the recycling center. I'm not trying to convince anyone to do it just that its not that dificult to do and you can also mix the oil in with diesel on older engines.

thinkxingu said:
WYO, you can 'SOMETIMES make a gallon of bar oil for $5.00'? Are you kidding me? To save $1. (max?). Listen, I'm all for saving money, but that's just ridiculous. I'd have to go through 10 gallons a day to make that worth it (at least pay for lunch!!!).

S

Where do you get your gallons of bar oil for $6.00? I can't seem to find it for that price in my neck of the woods. Look, I'm no professional wood cutter. Just vetting an old family bar oil recipe from long before my time. I don't make it to "save $1" as you put it, in fact I really don't make it to save anything. I enjoy making the oil that I use in my saw. Not a lot of people make their own bar oil. Better or worse, it works great...just wanted to hear if anyone else is making it. Some of you might agree, my own labor isn't worth anything to me...

I'm not much for sitting around in a hammock anyway.

I don't have any place to take used oil, so I have mixed it in with my bar oil - works fine. I like to mix it in and not use it full strength.

WYO said:
thinkxingu said:
WYO, you can 'SOMETIMES make a gallon of bar oil for $5.00'? Are you kidding me? To save $1. (max?). Listen, I'm all for saving money, but that's just ridiculous. I'd have to go through 10 gallons a day to make that worth it (at least pay for lunch!!!).

S

Where do you get your gallons of bar oil for $6.00? I can't seem to find it for that price in my neck of the woods. Look, I'm no professional wood cutter. Just vetting an old family bar oil recipe from long before my time. I don't make it to "save $1" as you put it, in fact I really don't make it to save anything. I enjoy making the oil that I use in my saw. Not a lot of people make their own bar oil. Better or worse, it works great...just wanted to hear if anyone else is making it. Some of you might agree, my own labor isn't worth anything to me...

I'm not much for sitting around in a hammock anyway.

I've seen it at Walmart and TSC for around $6.

WYO said:
Does anyone brew their own oil? I'm been using a recipe from my dad for a couple years and wondering if anyone else is doing the same and how theirs differs.

Mine:

one part 80-90w gear oil
one and a half parts 10-30w motor oil
one and a half parts ATF

Heavier on the ATF on really cold days and lighter on the 80-90w

I use really cheap products and it comes out to be an awefully cheap gallon of bar oil.

Thoughts?

I cut a lot of firewood (10+ cord per year) and go through less than a gallon per year. I can't imagine you're going through enough bar oil that it becomes a noticeable budget item.

I'll cut 6-7 cords a year and especially with these new fangled enviro friendly saws, oil consumption is very minor. About a gallon per year bought for 6-7$ poulan bar oil bought at wally's. A 6 pack of real beer costs more than that.

If you're some kind of commercial operation that consumes massive quantities of oil then you can look into barrels of the stuff. Maybe your employees are stealing it?

never have made / filtered old oil for saw, sound like a good idea. I buy the oil on sale for $6.00 or 7.00 a gal.

Like others my bar oil consumption is pretty darn low . . . it takes quite a while for me to burn through the two gallons of oil I use -- one gallon of winter oil and the other gallon with the summer blend.

Bigg_Redd said:
WYO said:
Does anyone brew their own oil? I'm been using a recipe from my dad for a couple years and wondering if anyone else is doing the same and how theirs differs.

Mine:

one part 80-90w gear oil
one and a half parts 10-30w motor oil
one and a half parts ATF

Heavier on the ATF on really cold days and lighter on the 80-90w

I use really cheap products and it comes out to be an awefully cheap gallon of bar oil.

Thoughts?

I cut a lot of firewood (10+ cord per year) and go through less than a gallon per year. I can't imagine you're going through enough bar oil that it becomes a noticeable budget item.

pics?

I have been running regular bar oil. But I am thinking ot changing over to to strait vegetable oil. I hear it works very well.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
I have been running regular bar oil. But I am thinking ot changing over to to strait vegetable oil. I hear it works very well.

Billy

Iam going to run veggie oil in the aux oiler for milling, I been finding it on sale for around 6 bucks.

What controls the flow of oil from res. to chain/bar? Some earlier mentioned a pump... Is there a regulator or other device? I go through more than a gallon a year and I'm under 10 cords..not by much thought. I'm not concerned with my consumption (I'd rather my chain and bar be over-oiled) but just curious why I might run more oil than others.

Mainly run an older 048AV...gets most of the workload.

WYO said:
What controls the flow of oil from res. to chain/bar? Some earlier mentioned a pump... Is there a regulator or other device? I go through more than a gallon a year and I'm under 10 cords..not by much thought. I'm not concerned with my consumption (I'd rather my chain and bar be over-oiled) but just curious why I might run more oil than others.

Mainly run an older 048AV...gets most of the workload.

1 gallon on 10 cords lol. I have use 4 gallons on 16 cords so far this year, about a gallon every 4 cords. Don't know how there getting that kind of mileage.

I though the same thing. I'm filling my bar oil LONG before my gas tank. If I run the saw out of gas, I've been out of oil for quite a while. Confusing...

WYO said:
I though the same thing. I'm filling my bar oil LONG before my gas tank. If I run the saw out of gas, I've been out of oil for quite a while. Confusing...

Hmmm . . . more typically for me is me needing to add fuel before oil . . . in fact both the fuel and the bar oil tend to be pretty close to empty when I refill the saw . . . but every time so far . . . whenever I've run out of fuel, there has been a bit of bar oil in the tank.

My 048 love's its oil. Older saw for sure, and probably less efficient than newer models in many aspects. I wonder if the flow of oil can be regulated...maybe I'm wide open. Either way, oily is better than dry.... :)

WYO said:
My 048 love's its oil. Older saw for sure, and probably less efficient than newer models in many aspects. I wonder if the flow of oil can be regulated...maybe I'm wide open. Either way, oily is better than dry.... :)

yep I run mine wide open.

So there is a regulator??????????

WYO said:
So there is a regulator??????????

if it has one it will be a screw on the very bottom of the saw and should have a small arrow stamp into the metal.

Jay, you said atf works good but isn't cheap. Have you used it personally? The reason I ask is I have access to an unlimited supply of used atf and I'd use it if there were no risk of problems. A gallon of b+c oil lasts me at least a year so cost not an issue, but I like to be frugal when possible. BTW, what's up with you LEE? Your handle changes frequently to say the least.

I always used recycled engine oil (from the riding mower etc)for my Husqvarna and never had a problem, I never even filtered it. With my new stihl I have been a little nervous to do that but I would like to use my used oil for something. I am not allowed to burn brush around here so just dumping it in the woods doesn't sound like a good idea and I do not know where to go for recycling my oil.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I always used recycled engine oil (from the riding mower etc)for my Husqvarna and never had a problem, I never even filtered it. With my new stihl I have been a little nervous to do that but I would like to use my used oil for something. I am not allowed to burn brush around here so just dumping it in the woods doesn't sound like a good idea and I do not know where to go for recycling my oil.

Check out your local AutoZone. They recycle for free. Customers limited to five gallons per month, at least around here.

wood dope said:
Jay, you said atf works good but isn't cheap. Have you used it personally? The reason I ask is I have access to an unlimited supply of used atf and I'd use it if there were no risk of problems. A gallon of b+c oil lasts me at least a year so cost not an issue, but I like to be frugal when possible. BTW, what's up with you LEE? Your handle changes frequently to say the least.

I have used a gallon stright before with no issues. If it was cheep enough I would run it all the.

I have an endless supply of synthetic oil out of the looms at the plant ahich is ISO 150 ISO 220 and Iso 320 whatever weight they are. ITs still clear when changed and filtered in the looms. used to be mobil gear but not sure what brand now. It gets poured into a 400 or so gallon tank. Always some available but if i find a deal on bar oil i get 3 or 4 quarts. Found some for 6 bucks had a old price on them in back of shelf at local general store so i bought it all before they figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.