Chain Binding and Chain Id Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kruger

Oct 14, 2008
SE Wyoming
I just had a shop replace the oiler in my Echo 500VL. While it was in, I had them put on a new bar and chain combo. I had asked them to replace the bar with the same spec bar I brought the saw in with. After using it for the first time this weekend(ran fine all day long), I was servicing the saw and put on a freshly sharpened chain on the new bar. As I tightened the bar up, the chain I put on was binding. I tried a few other chains in my freshly sharpened stack of chains (all of which fit my old bar). Not a single chain fit...every single chain was binding. All of these chains fit the old bar. It would seem the new bar and chain from the shop are different than the old bar and all my chains. Both the new Oregon chain and all my older (but still plenty of tooth) Oregon chains are marked 72 on the drive link. According to various sources these 72 marked chains are 3/8 and .050. So if they are all .050 gauge, why are my old chains binding when they never did before? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

WYO said:
I just had a shop replace the oiler in my Echo 500VL. While it was in, I had them put on a new bar and chain combo. I had asked them to replace the bar with the same spec bar I brought the saw in with. After using it for the first time this weekend(ran fine all day long), I was servicing the saw and put on a freshly sharpened chain on the new bar. As I tightened the bar up, the chain I put on was binding. I tried a few other chains in my freshly sharpened stack of chains (all of which fit my old bar). Not a single chain fit...every single chain was binding. All of these chains fit the old bar. It would seem the new bar and chain from the shop are different than the old bar and all my chains. Both the new Oregon chain and all my older (but still plenty of tooth) Oregon chains are marked 72 on the drive link. According to various sources these 72 marked chains are 3/8 and .050. So if they are all .050 gauge, why are my old chains binding when they never did before? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Did the bar get pinched, perhaps in the shop? Maybe not enough to bind the new chain, but enough to bind your chains?
Is it binding on the nose - perhaps the wheel is tight? Just a WAG - do the old chains sit deeper in the bar than the new one, maybe hitting sawdust in there? Just some wild stabs for ya...

I reinstalled the new dull chain (from the shop) and it DOES NOT bind like the others. The wheel is free and the teeth are not deeper. I appreciate your ideas however. Could it have anything to do with the new bar and chain being a low-kickback setup (I don't know that it is)?

I don't know. What if you put the chains side by side to see what's different. Something must differ, maybe the thickness of the plates, or the depth, or….something…
If you have a mic or calipers, measure the thicknesses and heights, the difference might be small, but enough to matter.

I did the side-by-side comparison, but I can't see a difference. I don't have a good caliper...

I think your right. Their has GOT to be a small difference.

Sounds like it would be worth a call to the shop tomorrow - maybe they know. I know, that's "cheating", but what the heck, take the easy way once in a while. It's a shame to lose the use of your old chains, though. I hope you have the old bar.

Look closely at your older chains drive links, make sure there are no burrs on them. A couple small burrs on the drive links in that new bar will cause a problem. Another note I had a customer come in recently with a brand new bar and chain, Acted like the chain drive links were too big for the grove, I used a digital calipers on the works, bar was miss marked as .050, when it was .042. He was in a big hurry so I just spread the bar. It is possible that in somewhere in it's travels it might have taken a hit and has a pinch point. I am more leaning on my first statement though. Chris

blades said:
Look closely at your older chains drive links, make sure there are no burrs on them. A couple small burrs on the drive links in that new bar will cause a problem. Chris

You solved it. I had little tiny burrs on the drive links...so small you really wouldn't notice at all unless you were looking. Used a hand file and dressed them down. Chain fits fine.

Thanks a ton!
Aaron

You Are Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.