chain bumpers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmerchant

Jul 29, 2009
Cheshire, CT
I was on ebay purchasing a sprocket bearing because when I was cleaning mine and inspecting everything the bearings fell out of their casing when I took of the sprocket. I just replaced the bearing and sprocket about 18 months ago. Should I consider a new sprocket also. What should I be looking for on the sprocket that would indicate its time.

The ebayer I'm buying the bearing from also had this http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-MS290-310...409347982?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item2c5548138e listed. Are those plastic bumpers important. I purchased my saw used and they were never there, didn't know any better.

Oops, forgot to say the saw is a stihl 029 super.

burn it long time ago I got mad at the kids continually using the bumpers for leverage so I took 'em off after pulling full maintenance. It was suppose to be a temp thing but when they claimed the saw didn't play grab ass when they were limbing we left them off. Things have been sweet with the chain and bar since then, won't cost you anything to try it.

What's wrong with using the dawgs for leverage. My current 290 is my first saw with the dawgs and I absolutely love having them. The come in particularly handy when trying to cut a stump off at ground level.

If they're not for leverage then what are they for?

Status
Not open for further replies.