Chain catch question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Ok got a question. Was cutting this morning and everything is going fine when my chain all of a sudden comes off. Chain was just checked while fueling up and made about three cuts into a 16" log when it happened. I noticed that the catch looks bent and was wondering if it is supposed to be straight or at an angle. The bad part is i notice it all the time while cleaning the saw but dont remember if it was always at an angle. Also noticed that the bar is starting to feather some on the edge, could this have caused it? Oh forgot to mention this is on my o28 super.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 2011-08-26_11-09-12_646.jpg
    2011-08-26_11-09-12_646.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 2011-08-26_11-09-19_859.jpg
    2011-08-26_11-09-19_859.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 354
Chain catcher looks ok, let's see the drive sprocket, chain drivers & bar. May be able to help more that way. AC

Here is a pic of the sprocket. It has some good grooves wore in it. The bar appears in good shape beside having some feathering on the edges in a few spots.

Attachments

• 2011-08-26_18-46-52_473.jpg
    2011-08-26_18-46-52_473.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 313
I'll bet if you replace that sprocket, & smooth out any damaged drive links the prob. goes away. I'm betting the chain tension got set on a high part of the sprocket, then found it's way into the deep groove, loosened up & let go. Cheap fix on that saw, just remember to look @ the chain, it can damage the new sprocket. A C

Thanks AC
Is it as easy to change as it looks by removing the snap rings? The chain has about 3/4 of a cord on it but what damage would i be looking for on the drive links?

Quick and very easy HJ. Just pull the ring and go from there. Sometimes it is best to change the sprocket when putting on a new chain too so you might remember that for the future.

HJsimpson said:
Thanks AC
Is it as easy to change as it looks by removing the snap rings? The chain has about 3/4 of a cord on it but what damage would i be looking for on the drive links?

Looks like you need to replace the sprocket, on the chain check the bottom of every drive link normally looks ground down or big scratches only takes one and the chain is shot. Normally not an issue unless its picco chain .043

Thanks guys.
Im still learning and everyone is so helpful here unlike other sites. Before i found this forum i would have really stuggled to fix some of this stuff.
Is it ok to still use the used chains on a new sprocket?

HJsimpson said:
Thanks guys.
Im still learning and everyone is so helpful here unlike other sites. Before i found this forum i would have really stuggled to fix some of this stuff.

YES! But check your chains good!

HJsimpson said:

Sprockets are designed to last the life of 2 chains. Might be best to start with a new chain (or 2) and keep the used ones for occasional rough work.

Seems that some federal agencies consider a used chain-catcher used-up. Requiring replacement.
I wouldn't quibble with it- quick & simple to change.
How's your bar sprocket?

Picked up new sprocket saturday and put back together with new chain and new catch. It was pretty bad looking compare to the new one and it was only $7. Bar spocket is still tight with no side to side movement and spins freely. After getting the new spocket it was obvious the old one was wore bad so i think thats the culprit.
Thanks again everyone.

When the procket wears that bad the chain will bind and most folks loosen up on the tension to compensate. That's why the chain will jump ship occasionally. Glad you weren't whipped with that chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.