chain drive on regency gci60

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmsaler

Dec 12, 2010
Western PA
Just installed gci60 yesterday...install went smooth, but I dumped a bag of pellets in and got it fired up. A few minutes in I noticed enthe agitator rod quit spinning.. under further inspection I noticed the chain fell off. I have since put it on 6 more times. There is something obviously wrong. Anybody else have this issue. After 1 to 2 full rotations of the sprocket the chain falls off.

make sure your sprockets line up take a strait edge and put on the side of the sprocket.

Hey Pharm, the agitator bracket arm (the arm that the agitator motor, chain and sprockets mount on) is prob tweaked on you. Haven't got an answer from Enviro yet, but we have had 4 units in the last month with issues. Thought maybe it was from shipping- but not sure now. maybe when the agitator tines rotate in the burnpot, they get hung up on a pellet or chunk of carbon ash?? Not sure yet myself. Easy fix though, take off the arm (held on with 5 t20 torx screws) and straighten arm or get a new one from your dealer. Its prob easier and faster to tweak the one you have back to straight, tweak sprockets if necessary, put power to agitator motor (the 1rpm motor that drives it) directly if you feel comfortable working with 120VAC and letting it run for a couple of mins before you reinstall on your stove. This is a fairly new prob (I hope), the M55 and your stoves are showing a couple of chinks in their armor now that the stove has been out for a few seasons, but this is only this year that I know of. Good luck with it.

So I called my dealer and got very little help I asked for tech support number to regency. I received and called tech support..although he answered my questions he was not happy that I called directly to manufacture.

I guess they are going to replace the bracket the motor and the rear cog.....

Just feeling uneasy ad I drove 2 hours opposite of the closest dealer to save $1000 dollars

EUREKA>>>EUREKA>>>> I have finally figured out the issue. The rear cog on the motor itself appears to be laser cut/plasma cut from a CNC machine. I have taken this cog off the shaft and tried to wrap the chain around the cog. Several of the cogs went into the chain fine and several were offset...I guess what I am trying to say is that each cog is NOT the same distance apart>>>> Therefore as the chain goes around the sprocket it hits a high point on the chain,,, which then artificially causes the chain to become tight...and because the motor and tension are hard set in place the bracket then deflects and flexes and causes the chain to be kicked off the sprocket.

This could be solved with a heavier cog and also a more precise cut

Status
Not open for further replies.