chain file size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal-MI

Sep 4, 2009
West Michigan
I have several saws with at least three different size chain links. My Remington electric 14" calls for a 091374S chain. What size links does it have and what size file should I use? All the online parts manuals and lists just give a part number and no chain or file size info.

I went to the Stihl dealer and he told me what size file to use on my Stihl 025. It takes a .325 link size chain and a 3/16 file at 30 degrees. Stihl brand chains use 30 degrees.

And I think I can figure out what to use on my big Sach Dolmer. But I think the Sachs requires a 10 degree down angle instead of flat across filing.

Is there some general reference on file sizes for various chains? I have not used chain saws for a few years and my files and file holders are mixed up in a drawer.

I believe there are three basic sizes unless ur a pro logger 3/32, 3/16, and 7/32. As far as all your angles i depends on what type of wood you are cutting. The files shoud say what size they are in fine print of course.

Sure, but how do I tell what chain size I have and what file size goes with each chain? I just learned that there are .325 and .375 (3/8) chains and I cannot see the difference between them.

Cal-MI said:
Sure, but how do I tell what chain size I have and what file size goes with each chain? I just learned that there are .325 and .375 (3/8) chains and I cannot see the difference between them.

It should be stamp into the bar ate the base.

Cal-MI said:
I agree, it SHOULD be. My Stihl says a .325 chain but my 14" Remington electric says 097570-01.

the ele saw's I have sharpend have been the same wheel as the .325 so I would think the same file will work as well.

You're going to have to go back to the manufacture and ask - or take the saw (or just the chain) with you to the hardware store and find the one that fits. Bulk files cost a little over a buck each, grab you a handful and get in the habit of tossing them* as they dull.

By the way, on the difference between the .325 and .375 chain - it is considerable. Unfortunately most saws don't have enough power to spin one in the length guide bars people want to put on their saws, but if you have one on a saw with a bar that is an easy pull for the saw then you will come to understand the nature of the light saber.

* Or maybe you'll be the lucky guy who figures out a way to make a better mouse trap out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.