Chain for abrasive conditions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foche911

Aug 19, 2009
North Central Oklahoma
Could i get some input on chain for abrasive conditions? Application is Hackberry in fencerows with the occasional old piece of wire. My low rpm (12500) Jonsereds 2050 seems to work as well as my 13,500 rpm 2149 for this work. Speed seems to eat the chain. I am thinking someone has some ideas on this.

Sorry I can't tell you what works, I do know that I ruined a chain this summer when cutting a fence post and hitting a hidden piece of wire. It took about 3 seconds, and maybe 5 or 6 teeth were gone. It was a 3 year old chain, with lots of wear and sharpenings, so it was about time to throw it away anyway.

It seems to me, the better a chain (or blade) will deal with steal, the worse it will be for wood cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.