Chain increasing BTU's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airbill

Jan 14, 2011
nw NJ
Hello and forgive me for asking a question I'm sure has been asked before but I didn't come accross the topic in the archieves.
I just installed a "low mileage" 1979 Tarm MB 55 to subsidize my oil unit. The MB 55 is the same unit as the MB 75 I'm told sans the heat exchanger
is bigger on the 75, hence 140K btu verses 180K. I was told draping some 3/8" chain over the exchanger in the MB 55 would bump up the BTU's.
Sounds logical but would like to hear your thoughts if there is any merit to this idea.

Thanks!

Nice find. What your referring to are called turbulators. Try a search on that. Have you removed the cover on the back of the stove to clean the heat exchanger ? The newer stoves have round pipes that form the HX. That is where you would HANG the chains. Down the inside of the HX pipe. Your configuration looks different. There may be a way to hang chain in between the HX plates. The idea is to disrupt the hot air flow escaping allowing the HX to adsorb more heat.
You may want to call Tarm USA in NH and run the idea by them, good people.
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you RobC. I will give Tarm a call this week and I see where you are refering to and it looks as though you could certainly hang some chain there. This is our first wood boiler so I expect the learning curve will be steep but I'm excited just the same. Will be lighting it for the first time Monday when I return from this trip and will focus on getting up to speed on the Tarm. The chain idea is probably not on short list of important things however, if it works, I'd hate to leave BTU's on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.