Chain Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
Does anyone use the SuperTech bar/chain oil from Walmart? I have several Stihls and have used their branded oil with good results, but the Walmart brand is cheaper, so money is attractive here. However, would I be inviting trouble to use it?

Any dedicated B&C oil should be fine, and it isn't worth paying a premium for Stihl or Husqvarna, IMO. They all have tackifiers that aid in getting the oil down the length of the bar.

Personally, I prefer Tractor Supply B&C oil because it's a little tackier than the SuperTech and the sale price usually makes it the best buy.

Yeah, I have been using some cheaper stuff from Home Depot. Cannot remember the name because I poured it into a gas can and threw away the bottle. The Stihl stuff is a lot more expensive than the other stuff. Even the lower priced Ace Hardware stuff is a good amount cheaper.

FYI: Stihl is coming out with a cheaper (but not cheap) bar oil. Still the same orange jug but it's a more colorful label.

Personally, I prefer Tractor Supply B&C oil because it's a little tackier than the SuperTech and the sale price usually makes it the best buy.

Yep. I bought four gallons last fall for $7 each. It's on sale a few times thru the year.

I found Wally oil to be too variable in quality. So I use Dura-lube now from a local chain store for $9 a gallon. Poulan is also good stuff and often its cheap, and I buy that when it is on sale. Poulan is owned by Husky...

Reactions: TreePointer
In the 35 years I have been using a chainsaw I have used about everything but $tihl and Hu$ky oils. I have setteled on the TSC oil I bought 10 gal. last year on sale for $7. If it goes on sale again I will stock up again.

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.