Chain preference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chain type everyone is running

• Full chisel square grind

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Full chisel round grind

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Semi Chisel

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Low profile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Narrow kerf

• Safety chain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewood Bandit

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2014
Western WIsconsin
What kind of chains is everyone running?

I see a few have opted for full chisel square grind. That chain is extremely difficult to sharpen by hand and the very expensive grinders, Simington and the no longer produced Silvey are pretty rare. Where are you guys maintaining your square grind?

I am not brand loyal on chain, rather price loyal.

I'll agree Stihl chain is very good but the price is absolutely out of line. Stihl chain is not worth triple of the other brands.

I've used a lot of Oregon, Woodland Pro and even Forester chain and it all is OK. The last chain I bought was $7 for 16", .325 x 50 gauge and $9 for 20", 3/8ths x 50 gauge. I was contemplating buying a spinner/breaker and rolls of chain, but for the comparative cheap price of the pre made loops it wasn't really worth it.

Stihl Rapid Super

Stihl RSC, or Carlton / Husqvarna equivalent. I don't care about brand, as long as it's quality chain and full chisel round grind.

I run Stihl PMC on my top-handle saw.

3/8 pitch full chisel round ground on everything under 20",full skip round ground on everything over 24"

I do have a couple new/near new .404 square chisel full skip heavyweight chains for the Mac 125.They basically make mulch.Saw-King told me you can convert them to round fairly easily,just a few passes with 7/32 file will change that.I have noticed that the .404 square chisel holds its edge longer than other chains in the same material for some reason.

Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.