Chain saw cutting chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Ok guys, there are so many types and kinds of safety chaps to pick from. I want a good pair that will protect me I like the kind that wraps your calves. Prices are all over the place. Thaniks

I've had these for 3, maybe 4 years now. They are holding up well and have been comfortable in my opinion. I have no opposition to wearing them. Thankfully, I can't speak to their effectiveness but the general wear I am seeing on them is well within reason for how much they have been worn.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X24TIO/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I've heard consistently good things about Labonville.

I use the husqvarna ones too and also thankfully havent needed to comment on their effectiveness. They are comfortable, easy to put on and take off but most of all they offer a sense of safety that makes a tough job a little easier to deal with

I use chainsaw pants.

In the summer I have shorts on under them, this time of year splash pants, winter (which it's been a few years since I have done now), it's jeans.

This is something I want to get ASAP. How many of you use a full faceshield also? How about hearing protection?

One observation is that as saws have gotten more powerful the chaps have gotten thicker and heavier. They like to slide down especially if someone has a bit of a gut. This is annoying at best and possibly dangerous as when they slide down they can trip you up when you least expect it.

Its worth picking up some heavy duty suspenders either the clip on type or the button on type and get some bachelor buttons. I am surprised that I haven't seen a set with the buttons already attached for suspenders. It makes all the difference in the world with the suspenders. The clip on types work but on occasion slip off (that's what I have).

I am a Labonville's fan since they are made just down the road. They have 20% off sales ever few months or so. Just heed the warning and following their measuring instructions or you will end up with a pair that is too short.

Labonville's also has a reasonably priced chainsaw helmet, chip screen and earmuff combination.

I volunteer for the National Park Service on the AT and they buy their gear from Labonville's (at least up here in the boonies)

Depending on the nature of the work I'm doing I skip the chaps more often than I should, but I wear a logging helmet with mesh face shield and earmuffs religiously. I like my eyes and ears!

I always cut with the following:

Earmuffs
Clear safety glasses
Antivibration gloves
Chaps
Steel toe work boots

If dropping trees, I'll always wear a forestry helmet (with safety glasses under the metal mesh face shield).

Recommendation:
3M Peltor H10A Optime 105 Earmuff (has 30db NRR, very comfortable, not super expensive)

This is something I want to get ASAP. How many of you use a full faceshield also? How about hearing protection?

I won't cut at all without eye and hearing protection. Eyes are too delicate and important to risk. I use safety glasses with good coverage. Hearing may be easier to live without than sight, but chainsaws are loud enough that hearing damage is basically guaranteed over time:
https://nonprofitrisk.org/tools/workplace-safety/public-sector/topics/PPE/hear-ps.htm

A face shield, of course, provides more protection than just glasses, but eyes and ears are the minimum.

I do sometimes cut without chaps (I think mine are Husqvarna - heavy and warm, but not too bad), but pay extra careful attention to what I'm doing, and only for small jobs. This is with a small saw that feels pretty tame and is not very fatiguing, but I don't want to get complacent.

i picked up a husky integrated face shield/helmet/muffs off amazon. its awesome. the other day i had a piece fly off and would have bounced right off the forehead if i wasn't wearing it.

I have a pair of stihl chaps, but i think i'm going to keep those as extras and pick up some that wrap around the ankles....

Reactions: CTYank
I have a Husky helmet/shield/muffs and chaps. Not sure why I bought those particular ones because I don't own a Husky. Every now and then I feel a bit silly for the gear/saw mismatch, but at least the bright orange is easy to spot so I never have to worry about misplacing it.

I where ear plugs for everything i do. I lost to much of my hearing over the years. I dont have prescription safety glasses and I dont like the face shields. For some reason in my head I have been thing about chaps and I want to buy a pair.

Labonville chaps here... best $100 you can spend. A new leg costs....$200k+ if you live...

Reactions: TreePointer
I've got a pair of these, and I like them a lot.

http://m.northerntool.com/products/...LItxw8i7a1lIDHEUTVJnpv2IWyqDXy2Il2BoC6v_w_wcB

I use the pockets all the time.

I also have a pair of super basic chaps that don't offer as much protection or pockets.

I got SUPER lucky 2 days ago. I was doing a bit of cutting and it was hot and I was getting complacent and nit wearing the chaps. I lifted my leg to step over a branch and made contact with the chain that was just idling down. It put a pretty big tear in a thick pair of work pants but not even a scratch on my leg. I promised myself I'd wear the chaps ALL the time now. It's just stupid to have them and not wear them.

I wear a Husqvarna helmet with the face shield and ear muffs all the time.

...and made contact with the chain that was just idling down.
Yep. That "coasting to a stop" chain is probably one of the most overlooked things. Even considering myself skilled and safety conscious...my chaps have a few pick marks on that left thigh.

Reactions: mikey517
One observation is that as saws have gotten more powerful the chaps have gotten thicker and heavier. They like to slide down especially if someone has a bit of a gut. This is annoying at best and possibly dangerous as when they slide down they can trip you up when you least expect it.

Its worth picking up some heavy duty suspenders either the clip on type or the button on type and get some bachelor buttons. I am surprised that I haven't seen a set with the buttons already attached for suspenders. It makes all the difference in the world with the suspenders. The clip on source work but on occasion slip off (that's what I have).

I am a Labonville's fan since they are made just down the road. They have 20% off sales ever few months or so. Just heed the warning and following their measuring instructions or you will end up with a pair that is too short.

Labonville's also has a reasonably priced chainsaw helmet, chip screen and earmuff combination.

I volunteer for the National Park Service on the AT and they buy their gear from Labonville's (at least up here in the boonies)

So what is the suitable price for the good chaps? Is $50-70 enough?

Labonvilles are around $80, they have 20% off sales on occasion usually Black Friday.

Reactions: TreePointer
I wear the middle weight STIHL chaps, I don't remember what they cost but I'm certain their less than $100. Whatever the cost of what you decide on remember that one pair of chaps is cheaper than one stitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: VirginiaIron