Chain saw question with a twist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

streeter69

Dec 19, 2007
Arizona
Here's the twist, I live in the middle of a desert, in a small community in arizona. I am in need of a chain saw. The only things that I have available to me is a Slowes, Wallyworld, Hometeapot and a mail order Sears outlet! BUT we are getting a Target store :)

The only husky I can find is from Slowes is the 142 for $200 and still has to be ordered. They will not order me a 345 or 350 model! I am stuck with low end stuff. The local lawn center wants list plus 15% plus shipping for his stuff I refuse that stuff :eek:hh:

Las Vegas is a 2 hour drive, but still it is the desert and not much demand for chain saws there!!

What I am asking for is there anything decent from the major retailers that I mentioned that is reliable? I am an old auto mechanic so fixing it is no big deal.

I am just looking for something decent that will not break my bank (under$250).

Thanks

Doug

Try Norwalk Power Equipment Company on the web. I just bought my second saw from them in two years and have been impressed with the service.

If you post what you need the saw for and the typical use we can supply you with what saw(s) would be a good fit.

http://norwalkpower.com/

Whats wrong with the husky? I recently got a free husky 137 on a promo from northern tool. I kind of thought the saw would be a joke. But I have been using it on everything lately. Now I only use my stihl 044 on big stuff, because the little husky has proved itself worthy, and I cut 90 percent oak.

Thanks guys. Is the little 142 a decent saw? I will be mainly cutting Tamarack, Pinion pine, scrub oak, mesquite an possibly eucalyptus.

Is it going to be a primary firewood saw? What's the primary use? How much will it get used? What size wood is typically being cut with it? Do you have a costco locally?

Just got done playing with me new 142 :) Found it by alot of phone calls (slowes said they could not order) and a 140 mile trip! cut some tamarack 12" thick little problem but went on thru it. This is not my dads old 18lb monster but then again I do not have those monster trees that you east coast boys have.

Don't knock consumer cheap saws too quickly. Unless you really cut a lot of wood, I mean really,really a lot, a cheapo will work just fine and last a long time. Besides, when it wears out, unfortunately it often is less expensive to replace the cheapo 5-10 years down the road than pay the high price for the pro saw. Important is bar size to cc's and a sharp chain. The best chain saw with too long a bar for the engine or a dull chain is a piece of junk. Cheap saws often are sold with bars too long. Also, if you can, get a saw that takes 3/8 chain rather than 5/16. The 3/8 will stay sharp much longer. Next buy the Pferd hand filer (about $15) which simultaneously files the raker. Pros use these all the time, these are gentle on the chain, and do a great job. Rarely if ever a need to bring a chain in for machine sharpening. Identical filing of each cutter is a myth. Stay away from rocks, dirt, metal, and other nasty things. Last, but most important, WEAR A HELMUT, FACE PROTECTOR, EAR PROTECTORS, GLOVES, FULL WRAP LEGGINGS/PANTS (NOT JUST CHAPS) AND TAKE A COURSE ON CHAIN SAW SAFETY AND FELLING PROCEDURE AND FOLLOW THE RULES. A dead or cut-up chain saw operator does not have a future. Just look at a couple of pix with faces cut half away or the leg thigh or calf hanging from the bone, or worse, and you will know what I mean.

I use my 142 the most and it is the right size and weight and has enough power been using it for 2 years now and have cut about 30 pickup loads with it and it is still running great. I cut mostly hardwood oak, hickory etc

I'll second Jim's comment on the bar length. And if you can get .325 chain, IMO, you'll have better luck than 3/8. It draws less power. A shorter bar combined with .325 50-gauge chain can turn a mediocre saw into a much more powerful tool. And if you know what you're doing, you can fell trees with much larger diameters than the bar length--when you need to.

Have you tried craigs list in your area? Sometimes you can find a good deal on a used saw. And the others are right, a 142 would be perfectly fine for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.