Chain saw question ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Been searching ebay for fun and looking at chainsaws.........has anyone ever won a chainsaw off ebay ?

Or let me ask this way, has anyone ever seen a "name brand" chainsaw on ebay that was not priced really high and later bidded for really high ?

I recently looked and was shocked at some of the bid prices. Most were very close to what I could get a new one with a full warranty and a few extras.

Robbie

eBay isn't the bargain hunters dream it used to be. I think most the used chainsaws go for too much but value is set by the buyer. I wish them luck. Personally, I need quite a discount in order to take the risk a used chainsaw represents.

I was looking at item 200092440680 http://search.ebay.com/200092440680 . This may be a diamond in the ruff but it looks like it was abused. Still, it appears it will go well over $200. Once we get up to this amount of money, I would rather spend a little extra money and buy it used from a dealer who will stand behind the claims that it runs well and the piston and cylinder are good.

Now used gravely tractors are another thing all together. I will spend way too much on a hunk of scrap. Spend many hours getting it to run and still feel like I got a bargain. We all have our weaknesses. :)

edit:corrected link

Yup, that's about it when it comes to eBay chainsaws. It's a seller's paradise right now. The only good deal out there are the $160 NIB Echo 346 that you see with some regularity. Otherwise it seldom makes good sense to buy new on eBay when the prices are so close to new-with-warranty from your dealer.

Used saws are another thing, but they're a huge gamble much of the time. Even parts saws (or saw parts, for that matter) fetch a pretty penny, seldom justifying the cost of rebuilding a carcass.

I've had better luck buying from friends and guys on some of the chainsaw forums. I just finished rebuilding the attached Stihl 044 earlier this week. My total cost was maybe $200, and I still have $75+ of extra parts left over that I could re-sell. This price included a parts saw with a busted crankcase, new AIP piston and rings, a honed cylinder, a new(used) crankcase, new(used) gas tank/handle, and a new DP muffler cover. There is NO way I could have done this with eBay saws or parts. Heck, used gas tanks alone are going for $60+ and sometimes a lot more.

Attachments

• International_044_2.jpg
    International_044_2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,018
go to arboristsite.com there is a nice 372xp for sale for $375 in the classified section.it's posted with a 141 that he is selling as well.another nice saw.both seem in great shape and the price is hard to beat.

Well, I watched another one go for an outrageous price..(to me).....used.........no warranty !

A used 025 just sold for $275.00 including shipping !

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-025-Chain...ryZ79669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I could get a new one for around $340.00...(with tax)...... %-P

See last saw,

http://www.stihldealer.net/categoryproducts-dealer-013292-toplvl-2-catid-2-subcat-2-catprods-38.aspx

In other words....for about $60.00 more I could get a warranty and possible replacement or repair.........what gives here ?

Is $60 that much more ?

Oh, I will admit I almost bid on this saw until it reached $200 total............Including shipping because I figure shipping is part of my cost........just like buying at the store.

I can't believe these used saws are selling this high when you have a choice to get a new one for a few dollars more...........and $60 is quite a bit more expense to me by the way.

(note: I am glad they are selling this high for the people selling them.) ;-)

Robbie

Keep a close eye on Craigslist. I purchased a prime condition Stihl 056 for $100.00 and a 372XP (for a friend) for $350.00.

You have to be patient, but if you keep a close eye out you can snag some great deals, but you do have to be fast.

If you buy husky, check Baileys and Norwalk Power Equipment

http://www.baileys-online.com/

http://www.npeco.com/

Even dealers can't be trusted sometimes so know your prices. Locally I have one dealer who is selling a USED 372XP for $625.00 (I wonder what he's been smoking).

You can get prices from Bailey's, but they don't sell Husky saws online anymore. When I bought my 346XP, I went all over looking for a "deal" on a used saw, and looking for the best possible price on a new one. Ended up buying it from the local shop, I think they were only 10 dollars or so off the best price I'd found. Plus I get the assurance of local service when I need it.

Isn't that 346XP a great saw, Gibbonboy? Just a joy to use. Speaking of which, that's what I'm headed out to do right now!

You can get prices from Bailey’s, but they don’t sell Husky saws online anymore

Actually Baileys will still sell to you over the phone if you call in.

I see beat up brothers of my 1991 Poulan Pro/Partner 455 Plus go for three fifty to four hundred on eBay. I am thinking about selling it on there and getting a lighter saw. Darn thing was six hundred bucks in 1991 dollars and is a hoss but 23 pounds loaded with fuel and oil gets heavy about seven seconds after I pick it up anymore. If people love'em so much I may just let'em have Ole Yaller.

I end up cutting anything I can with the little Husky 142's I bought new for $99 apiece.

I bought a Dolmar 5100s this spring and I just love that saw. They are very well made and in terms of bang for the buck it's the best I could find.

The only bad rap on Dolmar is that their dealer network is not very broad so it can be hard to find a local dealer. Otherwise, I wouldn't think twice.

Hi Guys,

I bought a Husky 359 on Ebay. Used. I first figured out what saw I wanted, then kept track of what the bidding was doing and what I wanted to spend and then waited until a good one came up. Pictures are worth 1,000 words. Mine went for $300 and was pristine. I took it to the local shop for chains and files and the owner could not believe it was used. Best looking saw he ever had seen.

So, it is worth getting what you want for a price you like. But lately things are out of wack so I would go to a garage sale or craiglist before anything else.

Carpniels

PS. I sold the saw to my brother in law for what I paid for it after 2 years of use. And he thought that that was a great deal.

My .02 and no offence given, but..
Not many guys should be anywhere near a 372, that's alot of saw. We have several different ranging from small limbing saws to 3120 husky for milling. Get a medium range saw either brand in the 60cc range and you will do fine for most. I just picked up a 361 and it is nice, but not enough saw for any amout of 14-16" oak trees. Also ask how much you are going to cut and think about either mid range saw vs the pro. May not be worthwhile for the pro.
I have cut 6+cords in the past 20ish (since Sept 1) days for next year, make sure you have enough saw, but nice if you don't have to carry too much saw.

The 372 isn't that much saw. Anyone with a year or two of experience should be able to handle one safely provided they feel comfortable with the weight. I run one with a 24" bar and it does quite nicely, although it's not the beast that the 056 is. In big timber my 056 beats it, but get into stuff smaller than 15" or so and the 372's chain speed wins out.

Well, I'm still watching chainsaws on ebay.

I am still amazed at the prices being ask for these saws.........lots of them are new and are selling for more than one cost new at dealer..........what gives here ?

What about warranty ? And shipping ?

Am I missing something ?

How do they manage to sell these for more than a dealer with a warranty ?

Robbie

There's a sucker born every minute. People think that if it's on Ebay, it must be a deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.