1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chain saw Sharpening with a Dremel

Post in 'The Gear' started by BrianK, Mar 21, 2012.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Hit them with brake clean. Makes a huge difference. They get loaded with chain lube.
    ewdudley, MasterMech and n6crv like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

+ 1 on the diamond stones. the vitrified Dremel stones while cheap, don't hold up for long.
  3. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    BTW.. just to throw a wrench in the monkey works..

I got a Timberline Sharpener for Christmas.. It has now replaced all other sharpening devices in my house, and has replaced the "Johnny Seven OMA" I got in 1964 as the best Christmas gift ever...

Seriously.
    Pallet Pete and MasterMech like this.
  4. ironworker

ironworker Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    The secret with the Dremel is to just touch up fast and often. Although now I am looking at the Timberline out of boredom mostly and the need for a new toy.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Now that I know stihl needs two files depending on the remaining tooth I am seriously considering proposing to that timberline ! Lol

Pete
  6. BrianK

BrianK Guest

I'm ashamed to admit, I had to look that up (but in my defense, I was born in 1966).
    n6crv likes this.
  7. oldspark

oldspark Guest

What stones are you using, the ones that came with it?
  8. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    It doesn't use "stones" it uses "burrs" like an end mill. I don't think it could be used with any of the stones I have ever seen.. but the burrs appear to be going to last a long time. I have an extra one, but so far, I did all my chains for the two bigger saws, the initial sharpening was the hardest and longest, showed me I was not as accurate with my angles as I thought.. And then a bunch of "touch ups" and I can not detect any wear on the burr yet. Two of my buddies have since bought one also..
  9. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central NJ
    I use the Dremel sharpener with good results. Fast and easy. I wore out the first stone pretty quick but now that I've got the hang of it, I can do it quicker and with a bit more finesse. As someone else stated, just a quick pass or two more frequently is much better than waiting until it gets super dull. Might try the diamond stone when this one wears out.
  10. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    i use the diamond bits on my dremel, makes quick work of it and they last a long time
  11. mikey517

mikey517 Member

Loc:
    Highland Lakes, New Jersey
    Can I ask what speed you guys set for your Dremel sharpening?