Chain saw shopping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
I think my auntie might get me a chainsaw for Christmas!!! Actually it’s my ex’s auntie, but that’s a story for another time. Even if she doesn’t get one, I need to pick one up in the next couple of months.
I need something to learn on, but something that I can rely on once I am more proficient. I don’t need something puny—I’m pretty strong. If my auntie gets it, she will likely mail order, which limits dealer-only saws I think.

I don’t even know where to begin on my own, so here I am. What saw do y’all recommend?

Let us know the following and we can help:

How much wood do you need to cut per year?

What size and species of logs?

What is the budget?

3-4 cords mostly oak. I scrounge a lot, so log sizes vary considerably. Max $300 if I get it.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
3-4 cords mostly oak. I scrounge a lot, so log sizes vary considerably. Max $300

I think you said no dealer-only saws, but I gotta say that between the support here and that of my local dealer, buying a Stihl product was a no-brainer. My MS192T was $309 with a 14" bar. As you may find here, I have some very... unique... tool needs that were non-negotiable- there are many models that are cheaper.

For me, the ability to walk into a local shop (that happens to know my name) and say, "This isn't cutting right" and not be treated like a moron city boy (which I am) was worth a couple bucks more than a big-box-store saw.

I will catch grief for it but here is the saw I recommend. I have two of its little brothers that I have run the crap out of for three years with no problems. The decompression button for starting is a plus on this one too. It would be better if this one had a 16" bar but the 18" shouldn't be a problem.

She can have it shipped free to your local Lowe's. And if you don't like it they take stuff back no questions asked.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_197596-86886-965084138_0__?productId=1229529

I have a Makita/Dolmar DCS510 you can get it new for $350 or reconditioned for under $300. It's a good all around 50cc saw. Enough power to do what you want and it will not leave you a year from now wishing you would have gotten a bigger saw. I run mine most of the time with a good 16" bar and chain.
Good luck!
Bub

bluedogz said:
For me, the ability to walk into a local shop (that happens to know my name) and say, "This isn't cutting right" and not be treated like a moron city boy (which I am) was worth a couple bucks more than a big-box-store saw.

agreed!

That Husky 445 is a decent little saw.Lots of snap for the size.

I bought my saw about 7 years ago.....Craftsman 36cc with a 16 inch bar....didn't want a bigger saw 'cause I ain't got no business cuttin' anything bigger than that saw can handle....still beating the dog snot out of it to this day...even got thru the log in the picture....had to bury the saw to make the cut.
DSCN1316.jpg

Something in the 40 to 50 cc range is probably what a "normal" saw would be. The Stihl Farm Boss or Husqvarna Ranch models fit into this profile. Your gonna need to say like $360 or a little more or your gonna probably stuck with a POS if your gonna go new. The AVL Craigslist often has used saws as does the Iwanna. I got one of my saws out of the Iwanna (out of work truck driver).

find a used Stihl

Yeah I bucked out this oak with the lil 40cc 142 16" bar just because I could not get my head around hefting the 23 pound big boy that day. Sucker cut it up like it was born for it.

Attachments

• big oak rounds.jpg
    big oak rounds.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 651
  • lil husky.jpg
    lil husky.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 662
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
bluedogz said:

I agree totally, but my aunt lives in Los Angeles so we don't share the same hometown dealer.

At the same time, Bart has a great idea above from Lowe's.

Beer Belly said:
I bought my saw about 7 years ago.....Craftsman 36cc with a 16 inch bar....didn't want a bigger saw 'cause I ain't got no business cuttin' anything bigger than that saw can handle....still beating the dog snot out of it to this day...even got thru the log in the picture....had to bury the saw to make the cut.
7 years... Great!
I agree you can cut through big stuff with a little saw it just takes much longer.
I do not care for the low profile chains unless it is on an Arborist saw.
Just my .02
Bub

BrotherBart said:
Yeah I bucked out this oak with the lil 40cc 142 16" bar just because I could not get my head around hefting the 23 pound big boy that day. Sucker cut it up like it was born for it.
I guess its all in our prospective. I would have gotten real board and tired of waiting on that size saw to cut that size wood. Wouldn't have a been a problem to set a bigger saw on it and let the saw do the work.

I don't know about where anybody else lives but the local Husky shop has no problem servicing Lowe's stuff. He sent me there because he didn't have the model garden tractor I needed with gear drive and I lug too much weight with one for a hydro. He said if it was Husky, bring it in. He said he does all of their warranty work here no problem.

wkpoor said:
BrotherBart said:
I guess its all in our prospective. I would have gotten real board and tired of waiting on that size saw to cut that size wood. Wouldn't have a been a problem to set a bigger saw on it and let the saw do the work.

Oh I have the saw that will rip a Pontiac in half. You are right. It was my prospective and what I wanted to heft that day. And was totally surprised at the result.

Which has nothing to do with Kat's new saw.

Only doing 3-4 cords of Oak a year isnt a ton of wood. A Stihl MS250 would be the first and last saw you would ever need to accomplish your cutting needs. New, the saw is $299, you could get lucky and pick up a used one online, but they are hard to come by,,,good luck saw shopping, I love lookin at saws when i'm out in the stores.

i agree with BB. i have the same saw and it runs great easy start plenty for what you need to do

Joey said:
Only doing 3-4 cords of Oak a year isnt a ton of wood. A Stihl MS250 would be the first and last saw you would ever need to accomplish your cutting needs. New, the saw is $299, you could get lucky and pick up a used one online, but they are hard to come by,,,good luck saw shopping, I love lookin at saws when i'm out in the stores.

Agree. That would make her a good saw too.

BrotherBart said:
Joey said:

Agree. That would make her a good saw too.

Husky/Stihl/Dolmar/Echo
All good flavors!
Just try to stay in the 45-50cc range.
It does make a difference!
Bub

I forgot to say if you are going to buy online that baileysonline.com might be a good place to go.

Joey said:

I stopped at a yard sale down the street and a guy was selling one new condition for $200. We'll I only get paid once a month and there was too much month at the end of my money so I had to pass. When I got paid I went knocking on the door (against my better judgment because it was kind of a weird scene but that's how much I wanted it) and he had already sold it at the flea market :mad:

Thanks for all the great info!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I think my auntie might get me a chainsaw for Christmas!!! Actually it's my ex's auntie, but that’s a story for another time. Even if she doesn't get one, I need to pick one up in the next couple of months.
I need something to learn on, but something that I can rely on once I am more proficient. I don't need something puny--I'm pretty strong. If my auntie gets it, she will likely mail order, which limits dealer-only saws I think.

I don't even know where to begin on my own, so here I am. What saw do y'all recommend?

180 to a 250! Stihl ;-) 180 is one we use more than you would think. (Some are in the fourm of a 192T)

+1 on the MS250. Too bad you had to pass on that one. MS250 has just a bit more snot than the 445 but if you go Husky, try to find one at a dealer. Customer service is huge if you aren't a saw guru and need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.