Chain Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYLife

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2012
Mohegan Lake NY
What kind of saw would u advise that's good and not too expensive

What kind of stuff do you plan to be cutting (diameter of wood)? How often? How much? Budget?

What kind of stuff do you plan to be cutting (diameter of wood)? How often? How much? Budget?
Just some ordinary cutting for some firewood. About 20" long and not sure as far as diameter I plan to use every time I get my hands on some logs so say once a week about $300

Are you mechanically inclined and want to have a "project" to get going? Or just something you can take out of the box and cut firewood with? Do you have any dealers nearby you that can provide service if you need it? A good dealer can be worth more than the brand of saw by far....

Reactions: pen
Are you mechanically inclined and want to have a "project" to get going? Or just something you can take out of the box and cut firewood with? Do you have any dealers nearby you that can provide service if you need it? A good dealer can be worth more than the brand of saw by far....
Just something to take out the box and cut some firewood or if I see something on the side of the road. I do have a few dealers near by.

Just something to take out the box and cut some firewood or if I see something on the side of the road. I do have a few dealers near by.

I'm with clark as far as buying from a local dealer that you have heard good things about (ask around, gotta be one in your area). I'd recommend something with an 18 inch bar and around 50cc's.

We have a great local shop; especially if the product you bring to them is a product they sold you. They sell the same chains / bars cheaper than any of the big box stores, and hop on repairs when it's one of their saws that needs fixing. However, if you bring them a saw you found on craiglist or bought from Tractor Supply / Lowes / Home Depot, they'll fix it and do a fine job, but a saw they sold will be done first. That mentality seems to be par for the course.

pen

With $300 to spend I would be looking for a used Stihl or Husqvarna. Plenty of them on craigs list. Someone who knows more then I do about which are the best buys in your price range should come shortly. If you do find something of interest post it here and you will get all the information you will need.

Reactions: ScotO
i got a new husky 435 for $249 from bailey's. no shiping, no tax. 41cc, superlight. 16" bar .325 chain. can't imagine cutting too much green oak with it tho. kinda feels like a toy but time will tell

i like the idea of looking for something used too. i just don't have much luck sniffing out those sweet deals

For me, the only way my primary saw would be a used one is if I knew the owner very well and knew how the saw was cared for first hand.

For a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 14th saw, I'd have no problems buying blind used if the money was right, but if I had to depend on only one, it would be brand new to me.

pen

$300 buys a pretty big saw. But for an average cutter (buying new) and used is not an option. I would stick to the tried and true Rancher 455/Husqvarna, or Farm Boss MS290/Stihl. They are both mid 50's in the cc dept and are more than enough for the average 3-4 cord a yr cutter. They cost a little more than $300. But if you go into a good dealer, you can normally get some $$$ off and/or some free stuff (chains, oil, files, case, etc). Sometimes makes the extra cash worth it.

They both make smaller models that are less. The standard 435, 440, etc (Husqvarna) are $300 or less and the MS 180-MS 250 are also about the same.

Just about every saw on the market is the perfect saw for someone. Just gotta figure which "someone" you are.

First figure out the range of wood diameters you most often cut, then pick a bar length, then we can pick a saw to power it. Most firewood cutters do well with one saw in the 50 - 65 cc range, and one or two bars in the 16" - 20" range.

Just about every saw on the market is the perfect saw for someone. Just gotta figure which "someone" you are.

First figure out the range of wood diameters you most often cut, then pick a bar length, then we can pick a saw to power it. Most firewood cutters do well with one saw in the 50 - 65 cc range, and one or two bars in the 16" - 20" range.
Thank you enjoy your weekend.

$300 buys a pretty big saw. But for an average cutter (buying new) and used is not an option. I would stick to the tried and true Rancher 455/Husqvarna, or Farm Boss MS290/Stihl. They are both mid 50's in the cc dept and are more than enough for the average 3-4 cord a yr cutter. They cost a little more than $300. But if you go into a good dealer, you can normally get some $$$ off and/or some free stuff (chains, oil, files, case, etc). Sometimes makes the extra cash worth it.

They both make smaller models that are less. The standard 435, 440, etc (Husqvarna) are $300 or less and the MS 180-MS 250 are also about the same.
If you can swing the cost, the 455 or 290 would make very good single saw plans and offer very good reliability. I wouldn't go smaller than a 45cc saw, though.

Reactions: HittinSteel
If you don't get to cutting wood much over 18" or so, the Stihl MS250 is about the most saw $300 will buy new and does well for a lot of homeowners and "casual" firewood cutters.

I'd second the motion that checking out a MS290 or Husqvarna 455 Rancher would be very worth your while even tho they are closer to $400 than $300.

Stay outta the big box stores. They don't sell anything that's out the box reliable enough for someone who doesn't want/like to work on saws, let alone be able to actually service the saw for you in a timely manner should you have trouble.

Stick to the major brands, Echo, Dolmar, and of course Stihl and Husqvarna. You would be wise and well served to buy at a dealer you're comfortable with for parts and service rather than the best price on the saw.

Reactions: Nixon and NYLife
If you don't get to cutting wood much over 18" or so, the Stihl MS250 is about the most saw $300 will buy new and does well for a lot of homeowners and "casual" firewood cutters.

I'd second the motion that checking out a MS290 or Husqvarna 455 Rancher would be very worth your while even tho they are closer to $400 than $300.

Stay outta the big box stores. They don't sell anything that's out the box reliable enough for someone who doesn't want/like to work on saws, let alone be able to actually service the saw for you in a timely manner should you have trouble.

Stick to the major brands, Echo, Dolmar, and of course Stihl and Husqvarna. You would be wise and well served to buy at a dealer you're comfortable with for parts and service rather than the best price on the saw.
Will do so thanks for the advice. I will get a Stihl

Reactions: MasterMech
I was in your exact situation last year. Bought a brand new stihl 290 with 18" bar, then bought a 10 year old used husky 350 off of CList for 150 bucks as a "backup". Not very mechanically inclined, but help on here helped me replace the chain tensioner, and I could easily get by with it alone, and could have saved over 300 bucks by just getting the used one. If your area was hit by the derecho, might be a lot of almost new used saws, even at dealerships. Saw a used 290 for 70 dollars cheaper that was obviously rarely used judging by the bar wear at my dealer the other day.
Good luck!
OBow

If you are willing to go used. I have a 455 Rancher that I am going to be selling soon. Comes with 2 bars (one brand new), 4 chains, Husqvarna Hard Case, Husqvarna Sharpening system, Scrench, and Scabbard.

I just bought an MS 260 off of Craiglist for $165 (Shipped!) So the Rancher has finally taken a back seat with 3 Pro Saws to run.

The Rancher is a year old and still runs great. I dont want to sell it. But its not gonna get used anynore.

Just a thought.

Reactions: onetracker
I used a Craftsman 18" for years as an occasional saw. When it began to have issues, I bought a Stihl MS-250 about 6 months ago. I've very happy with it. Remember, an 18" bar can handle the occasional log up to 36" in diameter, if need be. Most of my cutting is 20" diameter or less.

P.S. I chose the MS250 over the Farm Boss or Wood Boss because it is significantly (for me, 2-3 pounds) lighter. It also cost $70-$130 less. Don't forget: you buy the saw, but also need a spare chain or two, some files, maybe a case for the saw, some bar lube, maybe some wedges, a dedicated gas can. Total cost is not just the price of the saw, plus tax.

I used a Craftsman 18" for years as an occasional saw. When it began to have issues, I bought a Stihl MS-250 about 6 months ago. I've very happy with it. Remember, an 18" bar can handle the occasional log up to 36" in diameter, if need be. Most of my cutting is 20" diameter or less.

P.S. I chose the MS250 over the Farm Boss or Wood Boss because it is significantly (for me, 2-3 pounds) lighter. It also cost $70-$130 less. Don't forget: you buy the saw, but also need a spare chain or two, some files, maybe a case for the saw, some bar lube, maybe some wedges, a dedicated gas can. Total cost is not just the price of the saw, plus tax.
Thank you Dan

The 250 is considerably lighter. My Father in-law is now looking to replace his 290 with one, so if that's important to you, then definitely consider it.

My main saw has been a 028, which is very similar in power to the 250, so it can be done!

Reactions: NYLife
Oh man, I need that saw. I always miss out on those. I can't swing it right now, either...

Jeff, did you have to do any work to yours at all? Im tempted by one of the Dolkitas, and thats not a bad offer at all that you posted there. I just need another chainsaw like I need a hole in the head...

Nope. I tossed the laminated bar and safety chain they had on it, and put on some Oregon stuff. It runs perfectly.

However.... The rental history showed it new in 2009, rented 37 times. Then it was in the shop last spring for 82 days, because somebody straight gassed it. It was rented twice after that, then put up for sale. It was marked down three times because it wasn't selling. Soooooo, I got a saw with a bunch of new parts for $194+tax.

Reactions: NYLife
Status
Not open for further replies.