Chain Sharpener for a Stihl FarmBoss and MS-362

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
SHOULD BE SET AT 60 FOR EVERYTHING, That I HAVE EVER DONE INCLUDING CHEEP HOME OWNER CHAIN!

60/30 you will always be in the ball park...unless its milling chain then its 60/10....Cheep homeowner chain 60/25

There are many chains, cheap and pro that call for 40 or 50 degrees instead of 60. I can see not doing it if you can't (no adjustment on a cheap sharpener). But, if you've got a decent sharpener - it makes litttle sense to intentionally sharpen a chain wrong. Most of my new Oregon chisel chains call for 50 degrees.

Attachments

• 40_50 deg.jpg
    40_50 deg.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 420
  • 50 deg.jpg
    50 deg.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 405
  • microoite 50 deg.jpg
    microoite 50 deg.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 373
  • 60 deg.jpg
    60 deg.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 395
jdemaris said:
smokinjay said:
SHOULD BE SET AT 60 FOR EVERYTHING, That I HAVE EVER DONE INCLUDING CHEEP HOME OWNER CHAIN!

60/30 you will always be in the ball park...unless its milling chain then its 60/10....Cheep homeowner chain 60/25

There are many chains, cheap and pro that call for 40 or 50 degrees instead of 60. I can see not doing it if you can't (no adjustment on a cheap sharpener). But, if you've got a decent sharpener - it makes litttle sense to intentionally sharpen a chain wrong. Most of my new Oregon chisel chains call for 50 degrees.

60 is where I cut them.......Not even going to say how many (in a week) or for how long I have been cutting. lol I have some fast chains and as smooth as you will find anywhere, but cut them how ever you see best! Oh and I have what I consider one of the very best grinders made...there is some reasons why they are calling for that angle and most are not what going to make any deference on a grinder! (with a stone even less)

Status
Not open for further replies.