Chain Sharpening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, the H30 (the top chain in the first pic is indeed narrow-kerf "pixel" chain, which does indeed use that sharpening guide.

The older chain, with the big honking safety bumpers, could be an H37, but I'm not personally familiar with it. Googling around a bit suggests H37 is a standard-gauge chain requiring a different kit.

In your position I'd buy a second H30 chain (or an Oregon 95VP, which is the same stuff) and retire the old chain, rather than getting a second filing kit.

Here you go, a second H30 for just over $15 delivered. You're unlikely to find the second filing kit for less than that anyhow.

Thanks Guys, I pulled the trigger on the file kit and a new H30 chain. Can't wait to start playing around with how to sharpen. Youtube videos seem to be abundant on the subject.

Cheers!

Reactions: Jon1270
So got my kit and am playing around with how to file the rakers. Is it as simple as putting the gauge on the chain and running a file over the rakers? When I put the gauge on, there seems to be some slop on how it sits on the chain. Did anyone else run into this? Are their other tools that are better than the husqvarna guide?

So got my kit and am playing around with how to file the rakers. Is it as simple as putting the gauge on the chain and running a file over the rakers? When I put the gauge on, there seems to be some slop on how it sits on the chain. Did anyone else run into this? Are their other tools that are better than the husqvarna guide?

Posting from my phone so its hard to get a link yo copy.

Do a search for "Husqvarna guide on rakers" and you should see a few shots of how it should look. The raker should fit in the little slot pretty well.

H30 = Pixel chain = .325 pitch, narrow kerf (NK)

Husqvarna .325 Pixel (NK) filing kit = #505698190
Husqvarna .325 filing kit = #505698194

Which kit do you have?

I use a Dremel with the appropriate sized sharpening stone and then a lite touch with a round file, just take your time and steady up your hand.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
H30 = Pixel chain = .325 pitch, narrow kerf (NK)

Husqvarna .325 Pixel (NK) filing kit = #505698190
Husqvarna .325 filing kit = #505698194

Which kit do you have?

I have the NK kit. #505698190

This is how I believe it's supposed to sit on the chain. Here it seems have play both back and forth and side to side. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be?

Yes, that's the way to position it. Side-to-side play doesn't affect the amount of the raker that protrudes above the guide. Front-to-back play does have a tiny effect, but I doubt it's meaningful. Keep the guide pushed down/forward against the next tooth. It's normal to have some play, and there's no reason for it to lock in place as firmly as the roller guide does. I think you're doing fine.

Yes, that's the way to position it. Side-to-side play doesn't affect the amount of the raker that protrudes above the guide. Front-to-back play does have a tiny effect, but I doubt it's meaningful. Keep the guide pushed down/forward against the next tooth. It's normal to have some play, and there's no reason for it to lock in place as firmly as the roller guide does. I think you're doing fine.
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. It didn't feel the way I thought it would so I thought I would ask. The real rest is when I get my grapple load in a few weeks. Pretty excited because I have a new chain to remember exactly how it's supposed to feel and hopefully I get my old chain to be a replica.

Pferd makes a two file hand sharpener that dresses the raker simultaneously with sharpening the cutters. I have used this for several years and find it works well.

Best chain-sharpening tool I've found yet: Granberg "File-N-Joint". IMHO, makes all these other kits look like something from Rube Goldberg.

Clamps on bar. You set angles & ht. for any chain. Just different file sizes. Insert 6" flat file and do depth gauges precisely.

Been using same one for 35+ yrs.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Best chain-sharpening tool I've found yet: Granberg "File-N-Joint". IMHO, makes all these other kits look like something from Rube Goldberg.

Clamps on bar. You set angles & ht. for any chain. Just different file sizes. Insert 6" flat file and do depth gauges precisely.

Been using same one for 35+ yrs.

I used CTYank's Granberg recently. I am about to order one for myself. The thing is amazing. (But I hear the instructions are much worse than useless. It's quite easy to use once you know how. Watch some YouTube videos to learn how to use it.)

At $25, it will pay for itself before I'm done with my second sharpening.

I prefer smaller, more easily portable sharpening jigs than the Granberg model, but I have seen one in person and I can at least say that it's impressively well-made and I'm amazed they can sell it for $25. By contrast I picked up the Oregon version of the same sort of tool at a garage sale last year, and it was pretty terrible.

I used CTYank's Granberg recently. I am about to order one for myself. The thing is amazing. (But I hear the instructions are much worse than useless. It's quite easy to use once you know how. Watch some YouTube videos to learn how to use it.)

At $25, it will pay for itself before I'm done with my second sharpening.

By my count, mine has already paid for it, not to mention added bar & engine longevity. Hardly rocket science to figure it out without instructions. :rolleyes:

As I tried to point out on AS, in an area like yours with "topsoil" that's largely rock dust, that splashes up on down wood, you really need to be able give the chain a touch every tankful or two. Especially if it's one of those touchy full-chisel chains. Repeat after me "semi-chisel please".

You never did buy the beer, y'know. Maybe up in Ashokan on the 18th?

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Status
Not open for further replies.