Chain sharpening? ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, this and this are knock-offs of the excellent Oregon 511 grinder. A few years ago Northern Tool sold one that looked exactly like the second of those two, and it had the reputation of being a great value (though at the time it could be had for $80).

Reactions: Applesister
I was thinking of a hand file set up and then bringing the chains to the Stihl guy (original) with the hopes of not as often as I have been.
I do have plans for a bench grinder and have set a spot in the shop aside for one.
I knew this last shop didnt do a good job but it was based on the cutting time, not by any close inspections. I feel guilty of turning a blind eye.

I was thinking of a hand file set up and then bringing the chains to the Stihl guy (original) with the hopes of not as often as I have been.
I do have plans for a bench grinder and have set a spot in the shop aside for one.
I knew this last shop didnt do a good job but it was based on the cutting time, not by any close inspections. I feel guilty of turning a blind eye.

Sure, that's a fine plan. Files are great for regular edge maintenance. When you hit a rock or something similarly abrasive and hard, set that chain aside for a trip to the dealer. Those $100 drop-offs will become a lot less frequent.

Well, it's a different style chain than I have, but the gullet? area should have a nice sweeping curve to the inside, and the top plate should be similar length compared to the others. The rakers might benefit from a smoother transition, instead of a sharp angle.

Don't take what I say as being critical, it took me a bit to get my own chain filing right, and it's still by no means perfect. But when you have the chain set up right, it's very noticeable (especially for me, with a low powered saw).

I can imagine the performance is down, and there's a fair amount of vibration/sore buzzy hands later, again, I found that out first hand.
Thank you, I see, I was thinking you meant the bumper link. Its a pruning saw and I just rely on it for cutting everything, I dont spare that little shetland pony.
And I see it pays to help the motor by making everything proper.
Like shoeing a horse at a bad foot angle.

Reactions: Jon1270
FWIW, this and this are knock-offs of the excellent Oregon 511 grinder. A few years ago Northern Tool sold one that looked exactly like the second of those two, and it had the reputation of being a great value (though at the time it could be had for $80).
How do you do those hypertext links? I always wanted to ask you that. Acrobat?

Thank you, I see, I was thinking you meant the bumper link. Its a pruning saw and I just rely on it for cutting everything, I dont spare that little shetland pony.
And I see it pays to help the motor by making everything proper.
Like shoeing a horse at a bad foot angle.

You're very welcome.:) Once you get to the point of knowing how it should look, it's smooth sailing from there. That way you yourself can sharpen it well, or you can take a dealer to task if they've not done a great job.

How do you do those hypertext links? I always wanted to ask you that. Acrobat?

There's a button in the formatting bar above the reply window that looks like a few links of chain. (Links, get it? :)) Highlight the text you want to make into a link, click the chain link icon, and paste the web address into the field in the popup window that appears.

I have ordered the Stihl version but have yet to get it, so I have not been able to see the design to really answer your question - actually, the only reason I am responding to this (with little to no info) is to second your idea of doing this yourself. That is one funky looking sharpening job on the chain above. That gullet is some sort of ugly.
When you get your file sharpening guide can you give it a review?

Reactions: Jon1270
When you get your file sharpening guide can you give it a review?
Will do, but Amazon seems to be a bit slow with the shipping on this unit.
There have been several others that have reviewed the Pferd as well as the Stihl.

Not buying it. A single, PROPER grinder session should clean up all prior sins.
Ah...hmmm...
That helps the acid stomach a little, actually its dirty conditions for a while, Ive been picking at trees on the ground...or more accurately trees in the ground.
Im accepting loss.

That helps the acid stomach a little,
Not trying to beat you up, Sis. Pointing out that the job done on that chain is unacceptable and that with what little I know about YOU, and a little practice you should be able to easily excel beyond what you are paying for. Call it a little "push". There is nothing wrong with dropping your chains off if they have been abused and need a grinder for correction, but for daily maintenance of chains I have every reason to believe that you can make that happen. Heck - you run a chainsaw. You can surely run a file or grinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.