Chain swap. Stupid question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Looking for a second opin. I was told by my sthil dealer that there was no way I could do anything to either my MS 250 or my husky 51 both with 16" bars to be able to use the same chains on either saw. What say you?
Thanks.

Looking for a second opin. I was told by my sthil dealer that there was no way I could do anything to either my MS 250 or my husky 51 both with 16" bars to be able to use the same chains on either saw. What say you?
Thanks.
There's always a way. Only takes time and money.

Even if you set up both saws with .325 and the same gauge, you may wind up with different length loops of chain due to minor variances in the bars. If the chain length is only off by 1 link then you might be able to use the same loop on either saw.

Husky strongly prefers .050 or .058 gauge chain while Stihl only runs .063 gauge .325 on their saws. So you will be looking to the aftermarket for a bar for sure. Probably easiest to convert the Stihl to .325 .050 especially if the Husky already wears that size.

Perhaps at this point it's more trouble than its worth? ;)

Reactions: Butcher
There's always a way. Only takes time and money.

Even if you set up both saws with .325 and the same gauge, you may wind up with different length loops of chain due to minor variances in the bars. If the chain length is only off by 1 link then you might be able to use the same loop on either saw.

Husky strongly prefers .050 or .058 gauge chain while Stihl only runs .063 gauge .325 on their saws. So you will be looking to the aftermarket for a bar for sure. Probably easiest to convert the Stihl to .325 .050 especially if the Husky already wears that size.

Perhaps at this point it's more trouble than its worth? ;)

Thanks. Kinda what I thought but it dont hurt to ask right?

Status
Not open for further replies.