Chain won't stay on the motor & feed sprockets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dillydo

Oct 6, 2010
Central MA
I cleaned my stove this morning. It's a Harmon Accentra. It had stopped burning this morning. I then pulled the back panel off & discovered the chain had come of the motor gear/sprocket. I've put it back on but it keeps coming off. Does the chain go over or under the tension wheel? I cleaned the fines out from under the burn pot. Is there another place to clean to get the XXX@@###%@@ chain to stay on!! Thanks for any help.

The UHMW tensioner I believe pushes up on the chain.
If the chain is off now I would turn the auger sprocket by hand to see if it is binding.
I would also check to see if the motor mounting plate is not bent, and since you removed a sprocket to put on the chain make sure the sprockets are lined up.

GVA is correct of course, the chain runs on top of the nylon tensioner wheel. The fines usually end up in the feeder box, which is a flat plate held on by a wing nut, which is right behind the drive motor. Usually a good idea to cover the distributor blower motor so when you pull the cover the fines don't all dump into it.

quite alot actually can cause the chain to pop off, the most insidious being the feared "gummy stove syndrome"......also, the chain is hardened steel and can wear out the sprockets....the more they wear, the more likely they are to pop. As GVA mentioned, and auger jam can do the same. Also, the finebox being full can do the same thing (should be cleaned once or twice a season). The motor bracket will often bend when put under that kind of strain as well, the more it bends, the more the chain pops off (look for misalignment of the sprockets for this). Harman does make a replacement sprocket kit which contains the sprockets, chain, and motor bracket, but its somewhat expensive at around $199 for so (harman part number is 1-00-06626k)....and yes, the chain goes OVER the nylon slack adjuster......

Thanks for all of your help. The chain is back on and hasn't come off again. I have the hex wrench nearby in case it pops off again. I see that there is a large wing nut on a panel on the left side of the stove - looking in from the back. It is behind the motor. Is this the one that should be taken off & cleaned out? It looks like it is a one piece panel with just the one large wing nut holding it. I can see where the chain is starting to wear the sprockets. I hope they last until warm weather arrives & I don't need the stove any more. The auger & motor sprocket were firm and the auger moves freely. It is unfortunate that the manuel supplied with the stove doesn't contain more illustrations & instructions. I find the illustrations & instructions rather vague in some areas. I need good illustrations! I did find some pretty good videos on You Tube that showed where the chain went etc. Again thanks!

yes, that wing nut holds the cover on the fines chamber....you may need to pry it off to get it off, since it doesnt seem that you've removed it as of yet....how old is your Accentra? When you put it back on, make sure you engage to top tab (if it has one), otherwise its a nightmare figuring out why your stove wonot run right....and thats from experience! :)

I have had the stove since Oct. 2004. It replaced one I got in 1996. I've been lucky only have had to replace the igniter and the motor so far! Thanks for the info! :cheese:

no problem......very likely the fines chamber is your issue if it has never been emptied since 2004....I am guessing you will find it packed FULL of fines, inhibiting the slide plate armature from moving well too.........

Thank you for all your information. Has anyone tried one of those pellet making machines for the home & personal consumption? I was looking at the videos on line. Just wondering.

Tinker1 said:
Thank you for all your information. Has anyone tried one of those pellet making machines for the home & personal consumption? I was looking at the videos on line. Just wondering.

Myself, Jay Takeman, and Schoondog have been witness to pellet making from 1 industrial size pellet making operation, where the owner makes grass pellets (or whatever you want based on feed stock).

Given the size of that machine (the extrusion head was about 18" in dia.), I think any of the Chinese made ones you see advertised will produce pellets, but you will be quitting your day job to run it enough to get through the winter.

And besides, where is your feedstock coming from? Do you have a big sawmill?....you'll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.